ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Tech News Weekly: Edition 13-09

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ehtyar:
It occurs to me that Google trying to make your results more relevant based on what you've searched for in the past would require cookies. I block cookies. Do either of you (Goth Man and J Man) block them also? If so, perhaps our bad experiences with Google are related to Google not being able to "improve" our results based on our past searches (not that those circumstances would give me even the slightest pause in eventually moving to another primary search engine).

Ehtyar.

J-Mac:
It occurs to me that Google trying to make your results more relevant based on what you've searched for in the past would require cookies. I block cookies. Do either of you (Goth Man and J Man) block them also? If so, perhaps our bad experiences with Google are related to Google not being able to "improve" our results based on our past searches (not that those circumstances would give me even the slightest pause in eventually moving to another primary search engine).

Ehtyar.
-Ehtyar (March 29, 2009, 11:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

No, I don't block cookies - I do delete them with the rest of my private info daily, however. Also I installed that Firefox extension - Advertising Cookie Opt-Out - that Google released so that people who block or regularly delete cookies do not get penalized for it. Found out about it via an alert from EFF. The extension can be downloaded here.

Jim

ewemoa:
Thanks for your ongoing efforts Ehtyar  :Thmbsup:

Re: 3  s/5.0.8/3.0.8/ ?

Re: 4  s/Conflicker/Conficker/ ?

Re: 6  FWIW, I have been an occasional user of Vivismo / Clusty for some years -- when I don't get much relevant via Google (seems more frequent these days), I tend to go to Clusty.  The fact that I am presented with non-trivial groups of results (paging is something I would call trivial) I can get at has helped sometimes but not enough to make me want to use them by default.  No, I'm not affiliated with them :)

Re: 7  Alternate headline: "Gov't organization's vulnerability exploited and their power leveraged to target..." ;)

Ehtyar:
Thanks for clearing up my retardedness ewe. Would you believe that up until perhaps 2 hours ago I actually thought conficker was called conflicker. I've written it so on this forum at least a half dozen times and you're the first to call me on it, thank you.

I like the look of Clusty, will definitely give it a go.

I like your alternate headline :Thmbsup:

Ehtyar.

ewemoa:
Re: conficker vs conflicker -- I confess that I didn't actually know what it was until this week's edition's mentioning prompted me to investigate -- and thanks to that effort, I came across the following nifty timeline:

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Timeline_of_notable_computer_viruses_and_worms

Thank you for contributing to my further education ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version