ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

SOLVED: Shell extension which would let you choose which browser opens a hyperlink

(1/4) > >>

chrisalbright:
I don't *think* this would be very complicated, but I don't have the expertise to do it myself :P

I would like to right click on a hyperlink and be able to choose which browser opens the url. For example, I prefer Chrome, but there are some things I still need firefox for (firebug for example). Most of the time, I want to use Chrome, but sometimes I'd like to open the link in Firefox. And still other times, I need to use IE (for some very dumb apps that don't speak ff or chrome).

Sort of similar to this idea: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=8979.0 which didn't seem to get any traction (that I could find) although it seemed popular.

This would be incredibly useful for me and I'm certain for many others. What are your thoughts?

MilesAhead:
Hmmmmmmmmmm if you were using Firefox it already has an AddOn named Launchy that does what you want.  I took a quick look on Chrome AddOns and I didn't see anything similar but there may be.  Try googling on Chrome Plugins and see if anything is already out there.  Other than that seems like it would need a clipboard monitor and some GUI to show you the browsers installed.  Basically duplicating what Launchy already does but in a Hotkey type of thing.  AutoHotKey for me right now is pretty much limited to one page scripts since it's so hard to find out how to do stuff with the syntax.  Strings a quotes "here" but not THERE and it's way confusing for the neophyte.

ewemoa:
I've been wanting FARR to be able to handle these sorts of situations as I believe that may make it possible for FARR plugins to be written to customize such handling :)

MilesAhead:
The programming should be trivial if the user is willing to configure by browsing(pun intended) to each installed browser to let the program know what's installed.  If the utility has to search and catalog the stuff like Launchy does that would likely be most of the code.  Otherwise you'd just have the URL as command line param and the path to each different browser stored as answer to the hotkey(maybe pop up a list or have it go directly using more than one hotkey modifier or something.)

MilesAhead:
Hmmmmmm I wonder if this could be something added to Mouser's
BrowserTraySwitch

Like, perhaps set default browser and goto the url in the clipboard or something?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version