ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Finished Programs

SOLVED: Shell extension which would let you choose which browser opens a hyperlink

<< < (2/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
I've been wanting FARR to be able to handle these sorts of situations as I believe that may make it possible for FARR plugins to be written to customize such handling :)
-ewemoa (March 28, 2009, 04:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

The only thing I'm thinking is if you right click a link in a browser window to use a different browser, the browser with the link is bound to have a bunch of right click handlers and you wouldn't want to cut them out of the loop.  So it may be better to use a hotkey than a mouse click.  Just thinking out loud. Although there's so many browsers out there it would be tough to know what initiator would be "neutral" in that context.

ewemoa:
The only thing I'm thinking is if you right click a link in a browser window to use a different browser, the browser with the link is bound to have a bunch of right click handlers and you wouldn't want to cut them out of the loop.
-MilesAhead (March 29, 2009, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah, I wasn't thinking of trying to have FARR handle links clicked in browsers -- one of the contexts I had in mind was within windows of IM applications.

nite_monkey:
One Idea:
Code an AHK script (or some other language, all I know though is AHK) that will show a list of all your web browsers, and run the selected browser with the url shortcut you ran.
Then you just change the open with for url shortcuts to that AHK script, so that when you double click on the shortcut, it opens the program and adds the shortcut to a variable, and when you select which browser you want to use, it would open the selected url with the browser you picked.

MilesAhead:
@ewemoa it would be simpler if the link was in plain text and usable as is.  If digging out of a browser then the handler would have to read the page source and find the href=url that matches the underlined link.  Afa the Open With.. you could accomplish similar thing if you used a deskCut and right click and use SendTo menu.  Just add all your browsers to SendTo.

Guess the implementation depends most on the most-used app that would have the initial link.

MilesAhead:
Looks like this may be subsumed into this utility:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=8979.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version