ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

TreeSheets - an interesting and innovative note taker (freeware)

<< < (5/6) > >>

mwang:
My only complaint with it so far is that i can't figure out how to easily hop in and out of levels in a hierarchy using keyboard shortcuts.
-superboyac (February 17, 2011, 06:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Tried ESC (out) and Shift-Enter (in)? It's certainly unorthodox, for TreeSheets uses the more traditional keys for other purposes. Be careful with ESC, though. When in the middle of editing, ESC means cancel, and everything you've typed would be gone. Hit Enter first, and then ESC to back out one level.

electronixtar:
I've played through the tutorial. This is a very cool piece of software. But I have one question: Why?

I have no idea how could anyone organize anything in TreeSheets. Perhaps I am too dumb to imagine how on earth it could be used to "replace for spreadsheets, mind mappers, outliners, PIMs, text editors and small databases."

Anyone has a real-world examples?

Edit: found examples in example folder. Now wondering how could play todo with it.

Paul Keith:
These types of applications are a lot like InfoQube.

The best real world example is the developer themselves. Often times, they can't find a specific app for their needs but they have the capability to do something more powerful and they have often been exposed to spreadsheets and tree outliners and so a natural progression of that is to create an even more powerful set of flexible program using mostly cells as the basis.

For TreeSheets in particular, the most important thing to understand about this is that it isn't a program that answers a need as much as fills a need. When people are searching for that one program because there's no other program that fills their requirements fully - this program becomes it.

However if you're just treating this as a program where you are looking for a to-do list, these can often seem needlessly complicated or lacking a checkbox.

The most important thing though is to treat this as a grocery list with a calculator. (Check the first sub-grid example)

In that context, it's a more powerful to-do list as it's to-do mixed with an outliner view mixed with a spreadsheet like grid.

...but again, only if a basic checkbox isn't good enough for you and only if the alternative you are looking for is working and looking more like a database outliner than say a notetaker.

The mindmap replacement comes more from the fact that you can have a cell that's on the left or right side or that's zoomed out and then zooms in as well as the inclusion of images.

superboyac:
I've played through the tutorial. This is a very cool piece of software. But I have one question: Why?

I have no idea how could anyone organize anything in TreeSheets. Perhaps I am too dumb to imagine how on earth it could be used to "replace for spreadsheets, mind mappers, outliners, PIMs, text editors and small databases."

Anyone has a real-world examples?

Edit: found examples in example folder. Now wondering how could play todo with it.
-electronixtar (February 18, 2011, 07:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
I think the description overstates the program's capabilities.  It may be able to do all of those things, but not easily (from what I've seen).  I find it handy for making outlines, that's all.  So it's outline creation with a nifty interface for it.  A lot of other programs do outlines, yes.  but what treesheets offers a certain freedom in the outline...i'm having a hard time explaining it.

Hyphen:
This is good. No portable version?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version