ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Paragon Total Defrag 2009 For Free - Powerful but controversial

<< < (3/7) > >>

MilesAhead:
Then again you always see people out there saying "hey! I have 2 gigs free how come this takes so long?" then you find out they're defragging a 1.5 TB drive!  Some people have unrealistic expectations. :)

Innuendo:
You bring up a very good point. The less free space you have on a drive when you defrag it the longer it is going to take to defrag that drive.

Also, another thing to keep in mind is that most defrag programs cannot/will not completely defrag a drive if it is over 70-90% full. O&O and Executive Software I am looking at you!

Shades:
For defragging my hard disk I use (on a monthly basis) the 'Ultimate Defrag' software from a company called: Disktrix.

Guess some year ago they did a promotional campaign on the net to promote their new version by putting the previous version in the public domain. Previously I used Diskeeper but I was not satisfied with the results from that one, so I tried. And I am happy I did!

First, it doesn't require that stupid rule of 15% free space, it moves most recent data to the outer (faster) tracks, older data to the center tracks and puts folders next to the MFT (Master File Table). Because of all that, my PC felt as 'snappy' as a new installation again. Something DisKeeper was never able to manage. Until now everyone who has seen that software in action and worked with the result is grateful for leading them to a very good defragger.  It even comes with a manual that explains every option in clear, understandable English (PDF).

Unfortunately, the company does not link to that free version of their software anymore  :( 
A search with Google for download links resulted in this overview.

No affiliation, just a happy user (who should be starting his monthly defrag soon  ;)).

EDIT: added a comment.

Carol Haynes:
Ultimat Defrag looks very nice and seems to give a lot of control. However there are a couple of thoughts/questions I have:

How does it actually perform the defrag? Perfect Disk and DiskKeeper both us the MS API and if UD uses the MS API to achieve this (and hopefully it does for the sake of security and consistency) then how can they argue where they place files since the API only gives a virtual view of the hardware and doesn't let software where to physically place specific files on the hardware. A number of years ago I had a long conversation with a tech from Perfect Disk where I had it explained that actual physical placement is not possible through the API only logical placement within the API view. Logically contiguous files are really pysically contiguous but the software cannot guarantee which physical blocks on the hardware are used.

Shades:
@ Carol:
If you want I can send the installation file to you, which includes the help file. The help file mentions that the software uses the Microsoft API's that are in common use for this kind of thing. Besides those API's they use their OptiSeek technology that is able to place files where you want them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version