ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Android phone - anyone using it?

<< < (2/3) > >>

hwtan:
I'm using the Android Developer Phone (ADP), which replaces my Sony Ericsson M600i. Never use the iPhone, so unable to do a comparision. However, compared to the M600i and WM5 device before that, it has a very nice Webkit-based browser with Javascript support. The Half-VGA screen provides more real estate for display and combined with the trackball which allows you to scroll from part of a page to another both vertically and horizontally, provides a pretty good browsing experience.

The keyboard is pretty good as well once you get used to it. I have my email hosted with google, so the synchronization provided by Android was a plus, though somewhat disappointing because the native gmail apps was kind of restrictive compared to accessing gmail mobile using the webkit browser.

As mentioned by david, there are other bits and pieces that could be improved for a better user experience, but overall, I did rate it pretty awesome as it is.

Ath:
I'm very interested in those mobile i-net apparatus, if only they came with a decently large screen so I can read it without my reading-glasses, and a very small size so it would fit in my pocket... Guess I'll have to wait for a foldable or roll-up screen :-[

nudone:
thanks for the replies. i think i'm going to wait for a while - either until i decide it's something i must own or until the G1 is updated. now i've looked at a few reviews it sounds good but missing a few features.

Deozaan:
I recently got a G1 and I really like it.

The biggest problem with the browser (and other internet functionality) is that unless you're connected to a WiFi (or maybe BlueTooth or 3G) connection, you've got download speeds close to that of a modem (i.e. not broadband). That is, downloading information through the cell phone towers is slow. But if you can connect to a WiFi hotspot, then it's great!

I'm not sure if Bluetooth or 3G would have significant improvements over the EDGE connection I get from the cell towers, since I don't have access to either BT or 3G in my location.

nudone:
right. well, i was hoping that 3G would be working in my area - i know that it's not perfect coverage though.

i see that there are new phones coming out that are Android enabled, samsung is doing one, can't remember the other. so, maybe in a few months i'll look at getting one.

i'm glad you like it though, Deozaan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version