ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Freeware Image Organizer (Especially Tags/Keywords)?

<< < (9/11) > >>

Dormouse:
if i may take it one step further  from just cataloging to a more professional usage
-Mr.G (July 04, 2009, 12:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think that for most professionals the cataloging is as professional a usage as there is. Fundamental in the need for good workflow and managing very large numbers of images fast (and good database import/export as insurance against future changes). That's why the best programs in the area are not, and will not, be free. Most people may have smaller or lesser needs, or don't yet realise what they do need, but the people who do are particular in their requirements and willing to pay to have them met.

zevel:
XnView can do everything you ask AFAIK, excluding the ability to handle such huge number of pictures with ease, and mostly because I don't have so many to test :)
-Lashiec (June 11, 2009, 07:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Testing is not a problem.

Just take a picture, name it "pic.jpg" and run the following batch file in the same directory.
It will copy it 1 million times into a 2-level directory structure.
(make sure you have anough space on your drive)

--- ---@echo off
for /l %%a in (1,1,100) do (
  md dir%%a
  for /l %%b in (1,1,100) do (
    md dir%%a-%%b
    for /l %%c in (1,1,100) do (
      copy pic.jpg dir%%a\dir%%a-%%b\pic%%a-%%b-%%c.jpg
)))

sajman99:
Is there a program that can handle very large numbers of files (say, 100K), allow me to tag individual images as well as groups and/or folders with keywords/labels/categories, store the tags within the image metadata (IPTC) so that manually moving them around will not confuse the program and quickly search and display subsets by keywords and other criteria?

Built in image similarity detection will be a plus.
-zevel (June 11, 2009, 04:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
If the freeware XnView is incapable of/insufficient for the task, you will likely have to step up to a commercial software such as ThumbsPlus- a full-featured software at http://www.cerious.com which includes similar image analysis.

Regarding freeware image viewers/organizers, I agree with Lashiec's comments. AFAIK XnView is one of very few offerings which incorporate image similarity detection (ie. finding non-binary duplicates). If other freeware image viewers with this feature exist, I too am interested in hearing about them.

@JohnFredC: My CPU spikes to 100% and stays there every time I launch Viewer2. The app looks rather unique, but I'll have to pass for now.

kurdi:
I reviewed an excellent image tagger a while back:
http://www.freewaregenius.com/2007/08/14/itag/

zevel:
I reviewed an excellent image tagger a while back:
http://www.freewaregenius.com/2007/08/14/itag/
-kurdi (July 24, 2009, 11:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
I installed iTag.  It took several hours to index the collection (Adobe Lightroom took several days...) and it felt nice and snappy.
The problem is that it does not seem to support hierarchical tags, only a "tag cloud".

I'll try some of the other recommendations as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version