ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > DcUpdater

DcUpdater v2 Preliminary Flirtations

<< < (7/8) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
Would it be possible to have action buttons on the group header, something like Check All, Check None, Check Toggle?
--- End quote ---

possibly.
-mouser (March 22, 2009, 10:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, talking about checkboxes: there aren't any?  :-\

tomos:
Okay, that's clearer now
and you say "Note that grouping is purely optional" so if user applies grouping themselves, they're going to understand

The idea here is that plugins are all grouped together..
If you are watching multiple version of a program (beta vs. stable), these will also be grouped together
All other "singleton" programs are grouped under the Uncategorized section.
-mouser (March 22, 2009, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
You probably have this one covered or I'm still misunderstanding:-

in the screenshot in that post, would it not be more logical to have
     [+] Applications: FARR
           Applications: GridMove
           Applications: Whatever

rather than
     [+] Applications: Ungrouped

- if they are already grouped by status, why call the Applications (other than FARR) "Applications: Ungrouped"

EDIT/ added status

justice:
Are program versions not properties from programs?

* If so, add a menu item to 'update to beta versions' for all programs under a view menu or to general preferences
* Add functionality to open up the program to show which alternative versions are available for that program to download a specific version rather than the latest one.
* If the 'update to beta versions' is ticked then the latest version is the latest version, otherwise its the latest stable version.
* Program specific options should be situated in the right panel, as that shows the details for a program. (perhaps 'always update to beta' and 'never update to beta' which overide the general beta properties).
I think the grouping makes the program unnessecarily complex to be honest, even though its an amazing programming feat.

justice:
Also the left panel has 2 goals at the moment:

* Finding the program you looking for
* Overview mode of the status of programs.
Ideally for the fist goal you would see all programs in one screenful (micro listing). For the latter it's found that people have trouble deciding between more than 6-8 choices.

How many programs have people installed that show up on that listing? the second panel will already be quite text heavy so perhaps try and keep the left panel uncluttered.

mouser:
in the screenshot in that post, would it not be more logical to have
           Applications: GridMove
           Applications: Whatever
rather than
     [+] Applications: Ungrouped
- if they are already grouped by status, why call the Applications (other than FARR) "Applications: Ungrouped"
--- End quote ---

i can see the confusion.  the second level grouping would make more sense as
     [+] Applications: Other
basically what it's doing is giving a "folder" to anything with more than 1 item, and then putting all other singletons in the "Other" folder.

Let's not get too hung up on this grouping option -- i think i agree with the general sentiment that it just makes things more messy and hard to take the information in.  it's main value will be when navigating very large listings -- perhaps if one were viewing potential applications that could be installed or something like that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version