topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FEATURE REQUEST - Edit Enhancements  (Read 3732 times)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FEATURE REQUEST - Edit Enhancements
« on: March 20, 2009, 01:25 PM »
I would have added to the pinned feature request, but that post is locked, so I figured this was the best place to put it.  If there is a better place, feel free to move it.

I use SC constantly lately and I have found a few features I would appreciate that may be in line with the product.  The first one I may have asked for elsewhere, but I will ask here again.  That request is to be able to open files in SC.  If you go to File>Open - wait, that doesn't exist!  That is what I am talking about.  I have a current work around - choose file, use open with... and then select SC, but that is annoying when already working in SC on other related captures.  See, I find SC extreamely easy to do certain things like crop or adding arrows, text, etc. and taking a screenshot of an existing image sounds counterintuitive to me.  Especially if the picture is bigger than the screen and not scaleable (I know, SC can handle that, but why not allow it to open it instead of taking a complicated screenshot).

The second request is a simple (well to the user  :P) expansion of the canvas.  I often find myself cropping the picture down to a menubox (for example) then needing to paste that into Word so I can take another screenshot just to get a white background to write the arrow and information into.  I admit, there may be easier ways to accomplish this already built in, but I can say I haven't found it yet.

Hope that give a few good ideas.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 01:29 PM by steeladept »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: FEATURE REQUEST - Edit Enhancements
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 01:36 PM »
I can add file -> open easily and will do so.  Keep in mind that this will change the current screenshot directory though.
One thing you could do, which is what i do instead, is just drag files into the left hand thumbnail view when i want to touch up an image that is in another place.  Then i edit it, and drag it back out.  The advantage here is that you are working on copies of files in case you mess up.

As for your second request, easily possible in current version:
Screenshot - 3_20_2009 , 1_33_34 PM.png

Tips: You can use Ctrl+G to bring up resize dialog; enter a value in Quick Border to set equally-sized borders on all edges.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FEATURE REQUEST - Edit Enhancements
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 04:59 PM »
I didn't even think of dragging and dropping the picture.  Duh!  Oh well.  :-[

As for the resize, I thought that was for stretching the picture to the canvas size (or collapsing the canvas to the picture), not adding canvas size to the picture.  That is cool.  Thanks.  Glad these were easy ones for you.   :D :D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:01 PM by steeladept »