ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

dvd burner crisis

<< < (5/8) > >>

CleverCat:
Burners are not cheap here as we have to times any dollar price by 10! Around R300+ is not 'cheap'. :)

cranioscopical:
Burners are not cheap here as we have to times any dollar price by 10! Around R300+ is not 'cheap'. :)
-CleverCat (March 21, 2009, 03:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, but someone has to pay for all that sunshine!

;)

cmpm:
To replace a dvd drive would be as much work as checking the connections.

Here's an external dvd burner to consider.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4442292

Lashiec:
thinking of getting this drive as a replacement. Anyone here anything about it? I've been told plextors are one of the best, is that still true?
-PaladinMJ (March 20, 2009, 07:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Absolutely not. Plextor does not even make their own drives nowadays, and they're mere rebadged models by other companies (LG IIRC). Apparently Plextor could not compete cost-wise against all the big competitors, and so decided to stop manufacturing their own units. Quite typical in this times, as every other burner is designed and produced by a joint venture of at least two companies (ASUS & Pioneer, NEC & Sony, etc.). Seems like that's not enough for them to offer competitive prices, anyway, I suppose they have to keep the "better-than-the-rest" myth alive.

So, get anything you fancy. The technology used by DVD burners has advanced to the point that all companies are offering good enough units as to not consider brands when buying one. That said, some offer advantages over others that come in handy, like dealing with almost all copy-protection schemes, faster speeds with CD audio extraction or better results with *-RW discs (that's something almost no company still gets right). Pioneer has garnered a good reputation during the last few years, and Lite-On is not half-bad as well.

PaladinMJ:
well I've researched the hell outta that drive and found out it is actually a good drive and the added plexutils are reliable and will work for my needs, I've also found better bang for my buck with other drives. however one of the associates I have done business in the past actually has this model and has offered it to me for $25, new still in the box with warranties intact. So I think at that price I'm gonna give plex a try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version