ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

dvd burner crisis

<< < (2/8) > >>

f0dder:
It could also be normal wear-and-tear of the drive, even if you haven't burned much with it.

Btw, if you have relatively basic burning needs, I would recommend ImgBurn - nero is bloated junk.

40hz:
dvd burners are cheap enough that at a certain point you may want to cut your losses and just buy a new dvd burner.
-mouser (March 18, 2009, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ahhhh... the Geek Squad Solution: just buy a new one! ;D

But there's also some genuine wisdom in that approach:

If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit; there's no use being a damn fool about it.--Mark Twain

-----

Btw, if you have relatively basic burning needs, I would recommend ImgBurn - nero is bloated junk.
-f0dder (March 18, 2009, 11:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 on ImgBurn. Excellent app. :Thmbsup:

patthecat:
Try to isolate whether the issue is with:

1. Your media - try another DVD brand or image with Nero but at a slower speed to match the rating on your DVD media.

2. Your Nero burning software - try Imgburn or Infrarecorder.  If those work then you can use those OR try to reinstall Nero.  I see you've tried CDBurnerXP but others are worth a shot.

3. If the 1 & 2 above  have been eliminated then, the DVD drivers is next.  Check your computer manufacturer's website or maybe your machine has a "applications and driver" cd that you can reinstall the DVD drivers.

4. Previous Windows restore point?

5. Do an image restore from your image backup OR reinstall?

I would try first slowing down the burn speed to match the rated speed of your DVD media rather than using the optimum or maximum setting on the burning software.

I recently purchased a new Acer laptop which I immediately had to get repaired since the touchpad was erring out.  But at that point I was able to use DVD to create image backups.  Acer fixed the touchpad issue by replacing the motherboard.

But when I got my machine back, and tried to create new drive images, it was showing errors specifically on validation.  Spent about 10 DVDs that are now coasters.  The errors were occurring when I use Acer's image utility, Windows owen image utility, and my 3rd party image utility software.  So I was almost convinced it was DVD driver / firmware not compatible with new replacement motherboard.

So as a last resort, I slowed down the burn speed since the bulk DVDs I got handed down was about 4 years old.  So far I've been able to image and validate using DVDs several times.

J-Mac:
A few weeks ago my DVD-ROM refused to read a DVD. The machine is two and a half years old and both the DVD-ROM and DVD-R/W drives (Sony) were current with firmware. I was able to get the DVD-ROM drive going again by cleaning the laser as well as I could but it subsequently became intermittent with its read ability. I just decided to replace both rather than spend any more time on it. I got two Lite-On drives at Newegg - one for $17 and the other for $22. Now I can't believe I even spent the little amount amount of time on the old ones that I did! Replacement is extraordinarily simple and they work great.

Believe me, it's not worth the effort of troubleshooting older drives - that is if they are two years old or more.

Jim

PS - I thought I would mention here that I accidentally purchased the wrong connection type for the DVD-ROM drive at first. I looked at one Lite-On and then a few others. When I placed the Lite-On in my cart I failed to notice that the IDE and SATA drives had almost exactly the same model number - they are one character off - and though my drives are both SATA I got the IDE DVD-ROM drive.   :( Not to fear, though. I called Newegg so I could return it for an exchange and was told cheerfully that they do not exchange items but they would issue a refund/credit to my card account and I could then order the correct one. When she saw the price of the wrong drive ($17) she told me to just keep it! Not worth the cost (to ME!!) of shipping it back. What a deal!! Kudos to Newegg!

Darwin:
When she saw the price of the wrong drive ($17) she told me to just keep it! Not worth the cost (to ME!!) of shipping it back. What a deal!! Kudos to Newegg!
-J-Mac (March 18, 2009, 11:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Great story, Jim - thank you for sharing it with us  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version