ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

dvd burner crisis

(1/8) > >>

PaladinMJ:
hello DC
This morning i decided to catch up on my DVD Archiving.. and got a huge surprise, Nero erred out on me.. so i switched to CDBurnerXP.
erred out again..

the burner still reads fine, and it was burning fine the last time i used it.. couple of months ago. 

unfortunately I've installed/removed tons of software lately including intel chipset driver updates. which i tried downgrading.
I've wasted 20 DVDs trying to find the solution.
Is there a better way to test if i fixed the problem without wasting DVDs and hence cash?
I tried googling the error and found a similar problem that was related to the chipset drivers, but couldn't find much else....
anyway attached is my sys info and a cap of the error from CDBurnerXP, please please help me get this up and going.. i can't afford a new burner, and really want to avoid a format/reinstall. as my backup is corrupted, drives are near full. i tried the one restore point i had and that was corrupt to... :(

i am willing to pay if need be, also i have crossloop fyi.

40hz:
You may need to reflash your drive's firmware. I've run into similar problems with SONY drives, and a reflash cured the problem.

A good source for firmware is this website: http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com

I suspect the drive manufacturers are starting to sneak DRM into their firmware updates, so the rule of thumb is NOT to update any firmware as long as the drive is working correctly. Also be careful when upgrading the software (i.e. Nero, etc.) that came with your drive for the same reason. I've seen burning software suddenly refuse to copy certain things after an upgrade.

Luck :Thmbsup:

PaladinMJ:
i have never flashed the drive. do you really think I should really try that to solve this problem? :tellme:

40hz:
Well, it's one thing to try...and it did cure the problem for me.

But let's see what else we can suggest:

The problem may be with your mobo drivers. Assuming your drive is on the secondary IDE channel:

1. Check your secondary IDE channel in the Device Manager. Transfer Mode should read "DMA if Available." If it doesn't, try switching it and see if that fixes things.

2. If it doesn't, first try to rollback the driver and reboot.

3. If that doesn't fix it, try uninstalling the secondary IDE Channel in Device Manager and then rebooting. Windows should reinstall the correct driver when it starts up.

Hopefully one of the above will straighten things out.

Let me know how you made out. :)

mouser:
dvd burners are cheap enough that at a certain point you may want to cut your losses and just buy a new dvd burner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version