ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

7 Reasons Not to Direct Link to a Developer's Download Files

<< < (8/10) > >>

app103:
Well, here is something else to think about...

Just because someone can write & compile a simple ahk script, or a small desktop application, doesn't mean they can do what you suggest. It doesn't mean they know cgi scripting, php, perl, python or even javascript.

And this extends to files posted on sites by people that aren't even coders at all. What about an artist that posts zip files of their vectors, Photoshop brushes, and the like? Do you expect them to go learn some sort of web scripting language? A lot of them can't even handle installing Wordpress by themselves.

My first website was loaded with zip files containing Paintshop Pro tubes. It was hosted on a free host that only allowed static HTML pages. They were quite generous with disk space, for a free host. They didn't plaster the site with ads, popups, or driveby malware crap. They were very friendly to artists, with one stipulation: that there had be free art related downloads of some sort offered on your site. They even placed you in their directory, advertising what freebies you were offering.

When I first created that site, I barely knew any HTML, nevermind anything else. Before that, I relied on AOL's page builder to create sites.

I don't think I am wrong for teaching bloggers proper linking etiquette, regardless of any suggestion by anyone that it's the developer's or site owner's responsibility to disable people from being able to direct link, and bloggers should continue to do what they please, victimizing anybody they want, with nobody informing them that it's bad manners.

Bad manners are still bad manners in need of correction, especially when many amateur bloggers (and even some pro) don't know it's bad manners.

If my article had been a chapter in a book on how to blog, would you have been as critical about the issue?

app103:
No - it's all good! I just get embarrassed sometimes at how poorly I make my points, a fact driven home when people post after me stating what I was trying to say much more eloquently  :)
-Darwin (March 17, 2009, 09:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin

:D

tinjaw:
app,

I think you mistook the tone of my reply. I'm was not commenting on how, when, or why direct links should or shouldn't be made. I was only commenting that there are plenty of ways to track downloads if it is something that is desired.

Nudel:
I hate this practise as well.

It makes developers use generic names for their installers (e.g. ProgramSetup.exe) instead of including a version (ProgramSetup1234.exe) so if I want to keep old versions (just in case, or for testing) I have to rename the installers every time I download them. :(

(I suppose you could maintain an "always latest version" URL which links to the latest installer but maintaining that would be a pain. You just shouldn't have to.)

I also hate those sites where you can't even find the developer's site. How do I know if the installer on offer is out of date or not infected? How can I see what the developer's support or other products are like? It's annoying. :(  (OTOH sites that re-host the files, not just link to them, are handy every so often when the real site is down/gone... Not often enough to stop me hating them, though!)

mouser:
I also hate those sites where you can't even find the developer's site.
--- End quote ---

agree -- that is the worst behavior and all such sites should be avoided.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version