ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Software to monitor computer start-up?

<< < (3/3)

cyberdiva:
When you say you have over 100GB free drive space, what % is that of the total size of the drive?

One simple thing that may help is running defrag with the -b switch to defrag boot files.

Or you can use TuneXP.  It's a nice little tweaker.  Afa defrag goes, I've gotten in the habit of keeping my drive usage below %30 and running frequent quick defrags using Auslogics defrag mostly.  Once every few months I do the defrag -b as I mentioned.
-MilesAhead (March 29, 2009, 04:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks very much for your response.  The 100+ GB of free space represents about 65% or so of the total hard drive space. 

As for defragging, I haven't used the defrag -b, but I did defrag not all that long ago, and today when I checked, I was told that the computer did not need to be defragged again at this time.  Still, I might try defrag -b, and/or I might try TuneXP.  I very much appreciate these suggestions.

cyberdiva:
Boot Log XP. Not free but you could download a fully functional 30-day trial version.
-PhilB66 (March 29, 2009, 06:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks very much.  This is just the sort of information I was looking for.  I'll probably give it a try. 

MilesAhead:
There also may be a setting in msconfig to log the bootup. It only shows driver loads.  But if you are trying to load drivers that don't exist it can really slow things down as the system goes on a hunt for every nonexistent .sys file.

If there is the setting the created file should be named "ntbootlog.txt" in the Windows folder after the next boot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version