ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Heuristic Antivirus

<< < (3/3)

J-Mac:
I agree it's nice to see password recovery tools flagged as potential viruses, I've also seen nod32 flag a lot of irc scripts and nasty bots coded for the linux bash shell while I've been downloading them for analysis onto a windows machine.

Spybot is strictly dictionary based as far as I'm aware,
and yes, you can do just a heuristic scan with nod32 - latest version for sure.  The easiest way to do so is to open up nod32, select computer scan, click on custom scan, click on setup, then on the left go to options - there you can disable everything but heuristics and advanced heuristics.

I haven't had any problems with NOD32 (viruses or annoyances with the nod32 software) in the past 2 years.  I highly recommend it.
-codyBane (March 16, 2009, 03:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK - I'm pissed at Eset again! They released Version 4 of their AV and no notifications. I don't think they ever send notice of new versions; visit their site and check or lose out. Grrr...

Jim

Carol Haynes:
I really don't understand ESET - their software has an update option for the application as well as the viurs databases etc. and yet it has never worked. I have been using NOD32 since version 2.5 and I have never once received an update notice either by the update function or by email despite opting in to their emails. The only communication with users they seem to be good at is reminding you that your subscription is running out.

a_lunatic:
The way I found out about V4 been released was I got a BSOD & once rebooted Nod32 had a Virus scanner initialization failed

Carol Haynes:
Having read that thread is there any point in upgrading to version 4?

J-Mac:
Having read that thread is there any point in upgrading to version 4?
-Carol Haynes (March 17, 2009, 09:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've seen a few more bugs too. mouser posted about false positives that delete Windows system files (Yikes!). Also I saw at Wilders that NOD32 v4's email integration has wiped out a lot of users' Thunderbird email messages - both on their computers AND on the server.

I think I shall wait also.  :Thmbsup:

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version