ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Check&Get or Power Favorites or Linkman

<< < (3/3)

cyberdiva:
Linkman is pretty good, but I found their support to be substandard. E.g., I sent support emails to them in May 2008 were did not receive a reply until August 28! And then the reply in August simply said "A screenshot is worth 1000 words". I was less than impressed.
-J-Mac (November 10, 2008, 03:41 AM)
--- End quote ---
Jim, I've had a VERY VERY DIFFERENT experience with Linkman support.  There was a time in mid-2008 when they had a massive mail server crash that led to their not responding to email for a while; I don't know whether that may help to explain their non-response to you.  At any rate, after the mail server problem was fixed, I've found them to be just about the most responsive tech support I've ever encountered!  They've answered all my messages very promptly, and a number of suggestions I've made have found their way into later updates.  Moreover, the updates come with impressive frequency. 

superboyac:
I've tried Power Favorites and Linkman and I like them both.  For simplicity, Power Favorites is good.  Currently, I am using Linkman Pro and with each update it is getting better.  I haven't used their support at all, but through the threads on these forums they have been pretty responsive.  Also, they have incorporated features requested here in the last several updates.  I am pleased with their work.

cyberdiva:
I did not want to have too many programs doing the same thing - that was the rationale behind the topic.  I will definitely take a look at the website watcher that you mentioned.  I am looking for key differences between the three.  At this point i am not sure whether just one of them would satisfy the requirement of bookmark organizing and also keeping track of websites and maintaing a stored image of the webpage. I am sure that would be the best combination to have though.
-hkay (November 09, 2008, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I use and like three of the programs that have been mentioned in this thread--Linkman, WebResearch, and Website Watcher.  However, I bought them and use them for different things.  I don't think of them as overlapping all that much.  I use Linkman as my bookmark manager.  Because the Pro version also has superb link-checking capabilities, I've started to use it as well to check not just my bookmarks but also the URLs on various web pages I maintain.  I use WebResearch to save web pages and parts of web pages.  I have several thousand bookmarks in Linkman, but probably just a couple hundred saved web pages in WebResearch.  I save bookmarks so that I know where I can go to find good information on a given topic--if that information changes (for example, if it's updated), that's fine.  If it disappears, perhaps there's good reason for this.  On the other hand, I save web pages only when I want to be sure that I can access particular information even if it's no longer available on the Web.  As for Website Watcher, I use that program on a relatively limited number of sites when I want to be kept aware of changes (for example, on several forums--I'm alerted when there's a new posting anywhere on the site, or when certain statistics change).  I can't imagine using Website Watcher as a bookmark manager, and as far as I know, it doesn't even have the ability to save entire web pages.  Even if it did, it doesn't have the indexing capabilities of WebResearch.

I like all three programs--Linkman, WebResearch, and Website Watcher--but I see each of them as performing a different task.  I feel I need and want all three.

Outertech Support:
Linkman Lite 7.80 is a freeware bookmark management solution for private non-commercial use as well as for use in charity organizations and educational use.

Web: http://linkmanlite.outertech.com

Download: http://www.outertech.com/files/linkmanlite.exe

Tutorial video: http://linkmanvideo.outertech.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version