topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Check&Get or Power Favorites or Linkman  (Read 16337 times)

hkay

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Check&Get or Power Favorites or Linkman
« on: November 09, 2008, 10:44 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have looked at the threads regarding bookmark organizers and have found the three names in the subject line being talked about highly.  However, there has been no comparison between the three.

I would appreciate feedback from someone who has looked at all the three and what they think is on top. One thing that appealed to me about Check&Get was the ability to maintain images of web-pages; i am not sure whether this is available in the other two.  I use Webresearch for saving web-pages, but however have not tried it for bookmark organizing (probably it was not meant for that). Again, on of them has a option to make favourites HOT, which could be valubale. 

I have been a silent visitor of this site for a few years and have really appreciated the expert discsussions here - this is the first time i thought i would participate in the forum.  I would request the moderator to feel free to shift this topic to any other rightful place if necessary.

FYI, i am not using any bookmark organizer currently and am looking for your feedback before i go for one.

Thanks in advance

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Check&Get or Power Favorites or Linkman
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 10:51 AM »
I've only used Check&Get, so can only note that it also allows you to mark a link as "hot". Not sure if that's what you were referring to, actually. Have you looked at mouser's Best Website Monitoring Tool Review? The winner, Website Watcher, might be worth a look as well. It's a perennial favourite among DC regulars. Don't know about its bookmark management capabilities though.

FWIW, I am very happy with Check&Get, but I don't use it for bookmark management (I don't use anything). I know at least one Check&Get user is now very happy using Linkman for management purposes. He (KenR) wrote a mini-review of it here. You've probably already seen it, though...

hkay

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:13 AM »
Thanks Darwin for your instantaneous reply. Yeh, i wanted to mark a link or probably an entire category as Hot. I have quite a lot of links bookmarked from a number of years lying scattered in various places and i have decided it is time to get organized.

I did not want to have too many programs doing the same thing - that was the rationale behind the topic.  I will definitely take a look at the website watcher that you mentioned.  I am looking for key differences between the three.  At this point i am not sure whether just one of them would satisfy the requirement of bookmark organizing and also keeping track of websites and maintaing a stored image of the webpage. I am sure that would be the best combination to have though.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 05:44 PM »
You may want to also check out Tidy Favorites by Dennis Nazarenko who also wrote Tidy Menu and Vista Start Menu. I have only had Tidy Favorites Pro installed for some minutes, so I don't yet know anything about it.

What Makes Tidy Favorites Unique?

* Tidy Favorites
    * Freedom
    * Cut & Save
    * Security

A New Breakthrough in Working with Bookmarks
Tidy Favorites is a next-generation program that makes working with bookmarks safer, faster and easier. Intuitively designed and fully customizable to suit your exact needs, Tidy Favorites sets a new standard with dozens of exclusive features:

- Find websites instantly by viewing easy-to-recognize thumbnail images
- Open, copy, delete and update bookmarks in a single click
- Drag and drop to resize and rearrange bookmark thumbnails
- Add temporary links to a "stack" keeping your Tidy Favorites looking tidy
- Search through any website in seconds using a Command Line
- Use the same list of bookmarks in every browser - IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Dennis usuallly writes some good and stable programs (I use them all). ;-)  http://www.tidyfavorites.com/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:49 PM by Curt »

KenR

• Super
  • Blogger
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 09:33 PM »
I've only used Check&Get, so can only note that it also allows you to mark a link as "hot". Not sure if that's what you were referring to, actually. Have you looked at mouser's Best Website Monitoring Tool Review? The winner, Website Watcher, might be worth a look as well. It's a perennial favourite among DC regulars. Don't know about its bookmark management capabilities though.

FWIW, I am very happy with Check&Get, but I don't use it for bookmark management (I don't use anything). I know at least one Check&Get user is now very happy using Linkman for management purposes. He (KenR) wrote a mini-review of it here. You've probably already seen it, though...

Far be it from me to disagree with ANYTHING Darwin says! So, consistent with his post, while Check&Get can be used to keep track of bookmarks, it is really for monitoring changes on websites and would therefore be overkill for this purpose.

I have looked at multiple programs and have not found anything better than Linkman. There is also a free version of it now. For straightforward organization of links, you might also take a look at Link Commander.

Ken
Kenneth P. Reeder, Ph.D.
Clinical Psychologist
Jacksonville, North Carolina  28546

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 03:41 AM »
I have Linkman also, but to be honest I mostly use Delicious now.

Linkman is pretty good, but I found their support to be substandard. E.g., I sent support emails to them in May 2008 were did not receive a reply until August 28! And then the reply in August simply said "A screenshot is worth 1000 words". I was less than impressed.

Jim

hkay

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 10:08 AM »
Just wanted to give an update - i installed Check & Get, link commander and linkman.  Check & Get is definitely not a true bookmark manager (that is how i felt).  Link commander was very impressive to me - liked the screen and the layout.  I have not explored much but between link commander and linkman i found a key difference in the search capabilities.

For eg., i would be able to search for "go and eng" which will dish out google engine (whether these are part of the folder or contents) but i did not find this in Link Commander.  Has anyone compared the search capabilities between the two?  Are there any other key points of difference?

Thanks

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 05:55 AM »
Link commander and linkman were my favorites when I tested them

I liked linkman's small bar for access, but for adding and managing I preferred link commander.

I have emailed resort labs and they have assured me that they were planning to release an update supporting chrome, and fixing one issue i had on the sync for opera bookmarks - but i haven't seen anything. So at the moment I am on wait-and-see.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 06:06 AM »
Linkman Pro 7.80 is out:

<ul><li>Added more Buttons to Firefox integration</li>
<li>Improved Printing: QueryPrint, Userdef fields, configurable margins</li>
<li>Query option to search for whole words only (default off)</li>
<li>Query option to autocomplete search terms (default off)</li>
<li>Added date support to Powermarks import</li>
<li>Query results can be exported using Templates (Pro version only)</li>
<li>Added <PARENT.KEYWORDS> and <PARENT.COMMENT> Tags to Export Templates (Pro version only)</li>
<li>Increased the size of keywords edit area in URL properties window</li>
<li>Ascending/Descending option in Autosort</li>
<li>When adding URLs you get the option to edit a URL if it already exists</li>
<li>Query Results font is now configurable (Tools | Settings | Interface)</li>
<li>Added more URL Launch options to context menus</li>
<li>If Linkman is hidden "Add and Edit to Linkman" will restore focus back to browser</li>
<li>New option to add browser links to the top of the database (Tools | Settings | Receive URLs)</li>
<li>Tools | Settings | Interface | Show Treeview lines turns also Query Results lines on/off</li></ul>Shareware Version:

Web: http://linkman.outertech.com
Download: http://www.outertech...om/files/linkman.exe

Tutorial video: http://linkmanvideo.outertech.com

Freeware version will follow within this month (Linkman Free 7.71 will be replaced by Linkman Lite 7.80).

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 02:25 PM »
Linkman Pro 7.80 is out:

((  snip  ))

-Outertech Support (March 16, 2009, 06:06 AM)

Trying to drive me crazy, aren't you?! I knew I had seen this post last week and already updated. You had me checking the date and time on my computer!

Jim

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 04:20 PM »
Linkman is pretty good, but I found their support to be substandard. E.g., I sent support emails to them in May 2008 were did not receive a reply until August 28! And then the reply in August simply said "A screenshot is worth 1000 words". I was less than impressed.
Jim, I've had a VERY VERY DIFFERENT experience with Linkman support.  There was a time in mid-2008 when they had a massive mail server crash that led to their not responding to email for a while; I don't know whether that may help to explain their non-response to you.  At any rate, after the mail server problem was fixed, I've found them to be just about the most responsive tech support I've ever encountered!  They've answered all my messages very promptly, and a number of suggestions I've made have found their way into later updates.  Moreover, the updates come with impressive frequency. 

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 04:51 PM »
I've tried Power Favorites and Linkman and I like them both.  For simplicity, Power Favorites is good.  Currently, I am using Linkman Pro and with each update it is getting better.  I haven't used their support at all, but through the threads on these forums they have been pretty responsive.  Also, they have incorporated features requested here in the last several updates.  I am pleased with their work.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 04:59 PM »
I did not want to have too many programs doing the same thing - that was the rationale behind the topic.  I will definitely take a look at the website watcher that you mentioned.  I am looking for key differences between the three.  At this point i am not sure whether just one of them would satisfy the requirement of bookmark organizing and also keeping track of websites and maintaing a stored image of the webpage. I am sure that would be the best combination to have though.

I use and like three of the programs that have been mentioned in this thread--Linkman, WebResearch, and Website Watcher.  However, I bought them and use them for different things.  I don't think of them as overlapping all that much.  I use Linkman as my bookmark manager.  Because the Pro version also has superb link-checking capabilities, I've started to use it as well to check not just my bookmarks but also the URLs on various web pages I maintain.  I use WebResearch to save web pages and parts of web pages.  I have several thousand bookmarks in Linkman, but probably just a couple hundred saved web pages in WebResearch.  I save bookmarks so that I know where I can go to find good information on a given topic--if that information changes (for example, if it's updated), that's fine.  If it disappears, perhaps there's good reason for this.  On the other hand, I save web pages only when I want to be sure that I can access particular information even if it's no longer available on the Web.  As for Website Watcher, I use that program on a relatively limited number of sites when I want to be kept aware of changes (for example, on several forums--I'm alerted when there's a new posting anywhere on the site, or when certain statistics change).  I can't imagine using Website Watcher as a bookmark manager, and as far as I know, it doesn't even have the ability to save entire web pages.  Even if it did, it doesn't have the indexing capabilities of WebResearch.

I like all three programs--Linkman, WebResearch, and Website Watcher--but I see each of them as performing a different task.  I feel I need and want all three.

Outertech Support

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 02:45 AM »
Linkman Lite 7.80 is a freeware bookmark management solution for private non-commercial use as well as for use in charity organizations and educational use.

Web: http://linkmanlite.outertech.com

Download: http://www.outertech...iles/linkmanlite.exe

Tutorial video: http://linkmanvideo.outertech.com