ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Bat: Great program, terrible documentation and support

<< < (15/21) > >>

Darwin:
The rules in Outlook can be tamed (I've done it!) but it's also hit and miss - ie, I can't always remember from one day to the next *how* I managed to get a rule to do what I wanted it to do! Having said that, I'm pretty sure that I haven't created a rule in Outlook 2010, possibly didn't create on in 2007, either. I've been using SimplyFile by TechHit in lieu of creating new rules and all has been well for about a year. The add-in doesn't really replace rules per se, but in combination with rules it's a snap organizing my mail just how I like it.

I wish Microsoft would make organing favouries and rules and other content more intuitive... Favourites management is about the only remaining thing that I miss from Firefox.

vizacc:
MacMail is straight forward.

When you have a mail where you last moved it in 3 or 4 different folders, it gives you a choice to move it to the last 3 or 4 locations where you last moved it to.

For example, those PayPal emails... you file it under [ISP], [Rent], [Mac Programs], [Windows Programs], the next time the same email comes, it gives you a choice to file it under any of those last 4 folders you want.

If it's from that user, click [File] or [Thread] to file all the threads under that folder.

Click on To-Do, if you have WiFi, it flows to your iPhone or iPad

Top notch.  :Thmbsup:

I still remember the time spending many hours filing my emails with TheBat

Darwin:
MacMail is straight forward.

When you have a mail where you last moved it in 3 or 4 different folders, it gives you a choice to move it to the last 3 or 4 locations where you last moved it to.

For example, those PayPal emails... you file it under [ISP], [Rent], [Mac Programs], [Windows Programs], the next time the same email comes, it gives you a choice to file it under any of those last 4 folders you want.

If it's from that user, click [File] or [Thread] to file all the threads under that folder.

Click on To-Do, if you have WiFi, it flows to your iPhone or iPad

Top notch.  :Thmbsup:

I still remember the time spending many hours filing my emails with TheBat

-vizacc (March 02, 2011, 06:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sounds a lot like what SimplyFile does...

Armando:
SimplyFile sounds nice...  :)

JavaJones:
I totally understand where you're all coming from. What I love about Gmail is... it stopped me really caring about filtering, for the most part. The search is (usually) good enough that I can find what I need without having filtered it. I do use a medium-sized set of labels, but only about 10% of them are used frequently (things like "Financial"). I could and should probably get rid of at least half of them, I really never use them, they're just they're for archival organizing purposes.

Anyway back to the search. It's good and it's fast. But it's not perfect. Gmail does have some glaring omissions, like the ability to control sort methods (e.g. sort by author, reverse date sort, etc.). But again the important point is that ultimately I found the mail I'm looking for as quickly or more quickly using search than I would with filtering, folders, tags, etc. So that's a win for me.

The pitch of Gmail then is essentially "let go and let Google" (manage it). A scary mantra for many, I know. But it works for me. It's the same thing they're essentially saying about web search.

All I can say is that it can be incredibly liberating to realize you don't need all those folders. It's like the feeling Everything (file search) gives you for your file system. I care a lot less about which drive folders something is in now too. And as our volumes of data get larger and larger, I think good search (and largely auto-generated meta data) are going to become the *only* ways to really manage it, at least while maintaining your sanity.

All that being said if I could have a desktop interface to an IMAP store that does everything Gmail does as well as things desktop mail clients are better at (like sorting), then I'd be even happier. But that doesn't seem to exist yet, and desktop mail clients are not better for my needs than Gmail at this point. Too many advantages in Gmail's favor for my usage.

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version