ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The Bat: Great program, terrible documentation and support

(1/21) > >>

superboyac:
I love the Bat as a client, I really do.  But it has terrible documentation for the most part, and a pretty unhelpful forum.

First of all, I think most people know that the help manual that comes with the program is just ok at best.  Yeah, most everything is in there, but for being such a poweruser program, it needs more details on all the options.  Every word that is defined in the program or options should be explained somewhere.

The forums.  Again, they're ok, but not good enough for a program of this complexity.  Mouser has done an unbelievable job with this forum, and I feel it's hands-down the best forum interface I've ever used.  The bat is mediocre.  Whatever.

Also, it seems to me that The Bat is quite slow in fixing little bugs or adding features.  I gladly paid for the recent upgrade, but didn't find it different at all.  Maybe it's all behind the scenes stuff (yes I know i can read the history).  Still, it's an awesome program.  I'm just saying, most poweruser programs like this have either very active forums with a lot of helpful people, and/or a manual that is very detailed and complete.

rjbull:
Do you mean you see TB!'s forum online, as per DC?  I take it as a mailing list.  My main problem with it is the sheer volume: not surprising, I suppose, for a program of TB!'s power and complexity.

Dormouse:
I don't think I've ever tried to open the help file

superboyac:
Do you mean you see TB!'s forum online, as per DC?  I take it as a mailing list.  My main problem with it is the sheer volume: not surprising, I suppose, for a program of TB!'s power and complexity.
-rjbull (March 13, 2009, 07:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah, I was talking about their online forum.  I didn't know they had a mailing list.  I hate mailing lists.  but they also have the option to read it through a newsreader.
I'm trying to setup the gmane server in my newsreader, but it's not working.  Can someone walk me through this?

superboyac:
Unbelievable...I think I was banned from the Bat forum!  All I did was start these threads:
http://www.ritlabs.com/en/forum/read.php?FID=4&TID=7223
http://www.ritlabs.com/en/forum/read.php?FID=4&TID=7222

I don't think I've ever been banned before from a forum!  Either I did something terribly wrong, or they are terribly sensitive to something i have no idea about.  Now I know why there is no good documentation in their forums...you're not allowed to ask anything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version