ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

cannot play ripped music files

<< < (2/7) > >>

f0dder:
EAC does require a bit of techy configuration to set up properly, though, and it does rip slowly on some drives. dBpoweramp is more user-friendly and rips fast, but isn't free. Another alternative would be CDex which is hard to beat simplicity-wise, but it's ripping-engine is less thorough than EAC and dBp. It's fine for regular MP3 ripping, though :)

I really hope I'm wrong about the WMA license-issue wrt. your own ripped CDs though, it's a really mean and nasty thing to do, especially if it doesn't warn about it.

app103:
The problem is that the files are encrypted and your license files that you formatted away is your key for decrypting them. Without the key, nobody can decrypt them.

The theory that Microsoft had with this DRM was if they are your CD's and you rip them, if anything happens to the files that makes them unplayable you can rip them again, since you own the CD's. But you can't share those files with anyone else, so illegal file trading isn't possible.

I don't know of any way you can bypass the DRM in these files, unless you can actually play them. Every "DRM remover" and file converter that I know of requires the licenses to be installed on your PC and the files to be playable first. They are considered "fair use" converters, so you can play your files in other software and portable player devices that don't support Microsoft's DRM.

Even the "virtual CD writers" require the files to be playable. What they do is act as a phony CD burner drive, fooling WMP, allowing you to burn an image of an audio CD (saves you money by not having to burn on real CD media), which you can then rip to another format. But you can't burn them to any type of audio CD, real or fake, if they are locked and you don't have the key.

If you have lost your licenses, you are going to have to rip the CD's again (this time try a non-DRM format).

Darwin:
Another issue to consider is that WMP 11 won't let you import/export licences... as far as I can recall, anyway.

techidave:
I need something easy to setup so that all that use this computer can do it without many problems.  I will give CDex a whirl first.

I wonder if copy those folders using windows explorer could have had something to do with it???  That is from one drive to another.

techidave:
these cds, I would have thought been old enough to not have copy protection on them.  I need to look real hard to find the original cd and try ripping it again.

I wasn't trying to share them, just play them.  I don't recall it ever asking me to download or install some kind of license.  but then again, my daughter probably ripped this cd.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version