ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win Patrol Plus (Bits Du Jour- Fri) Chameleon Startup Manager, Startup Organizer

<< < (7/10) > >>

J-Mac:
I do use Anvir Task Manager Pro but I still prefer Chameleon Startup Manager for controlling startup items. Anvir allows you to add a delay but only a very short one. Or you can add custom delays but I think that it affects all startup programs rather than individual ones. I asked how I could assign different delays to separate programs at the Anvir forum but the replies from the developer weren't exactly enlightening. Might be a language thing, I believe.

Plus Anvir does not have the ability to create profiles where I can assign different startup programs to different profiles depending on what workflow I have planned. E.g., If I wish to work on video editing for a few hours I generally do not want my usual startup/background stuff running because video editing is CPU intensive and needs all the free resources I can spare. So rather than do what I used to do - let them all startup and then exit the extraneous stuff - I just select the profile I created in Chameleon which has only the programs I need in startup and reboot. Stuff like Screenshot Captor or Snagit, Ultra Recall, Surfulater - I usually have all or some of those start with Windows but not when I am editing video.

I know I sometimes complain about annoyances in Chameleon's somewhat arcane UI, but the profiles and the ability to assign different delays to programs - and delays as long as desired rather than one minute - are what makes it invaluable IMO.  :Thmbsup:

Jim

rjbull:
New release by Nir Sofer - WhatInStartup
Announced on DC here

[Edit]
Oops  :-[  didn't notice it was mentioned above.
[/Edit]

Trilinea:
Thank you for an excellent thread Steven!

Trilinea:
Anvir allows you to add a delay but only a very short one. Or you can add custom delays but I think that it affects all startup programs rather than individual ones.
-J-Mac (April 07, 2009, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
@ J-Mac: Did you try?

Create Delayed Startup items you want to customize...

On Startup Tab Highlight Delayed Startup Items >> Right Click Item you want to customize >> Click Edit Delayed Startup Item >> Select custom Delay Time.

Not sure why or how the individual settings would affect the delay time of all of the startup programs. Hopefully I've helped you.

J-Mac:
Anvir allows you to add a delay but only a very short one. Or you can add custom delays but I think that it affects all startup programs rather than individual ones.
-J-Mac (April 07, 2009, 04:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
@ J-Mac: Did you try?

Create Delayed Startup items you want to customize...

On Startup Tab Highlight Delayed Startup Items >> Right Click Item you want to customize >> Click Edit Delayed Startup Item >> Select custom Delay Time.

Not sure why or how the individual settings would affect the delay time of all of the startup programs. Hopefully I've helped you.
-Trilinea (April 10, 2009, 04:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess my first hint was trying to see how I could delay startup items in Anvir and only finding this dialog:

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

Notice in here that setting a delay will affect all startup items - or so it seems to indicate so.

Besides, it definitely does not have the ability to create profiles so that necessitates another program for me anyway. I still use Anvir Task Manager Pro and love the program; I just prefer Chameleon's startup delay more.

Thank you.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version