ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Microsoft's Turn-off mode in IE8 not enough, says Opera.

(1/7) > >>

Josh:
Over the weekend, Microsoft revealed that in its latest private beta build of Windows 7, it will allow users to uninstall the Internet Explorer 8 Web browser front end -- a choice it has never offered to consumers since version 3.0. The fact that since 1996, the presence of IE in Windows was elevated to such an extent that users could not completely uninstall it, nor could they ever entirely avoid it, has been credited by many as the real reason for Microsoft being perceived as having won the browser war against Netscape.

While Microsoft credits "user feedback" as having driven the need for this feature -- or actually, something like this feature but maybe more up-front -- the truth is, users have been supplying that feedback now for more than a decade. Most likely, it was the European Commission's latest objection which finally drove Microsoft to institute what some are seeing as the first crack in the dam. But is it enough to let any light break through for the other browser manufacturers desperate to gain more than a toehold on the Windows desktop?
--- End quote ---

More at Source

Am I the only one who is growing tired of opera's whining? Opera is a fantastic piece of software, but come on.

Ehtyar:
I'm far more tired of IE itself than of anything Opera has ever done. I don't really care how it's accomplished, getting IE off the Windows platform is a win for everyone IMO.

Ehtyar.

Deozaan:
Am I the only one who is growing tired of opera's whining? Opera is a fantastic piece of software, but come on.
-Josh (March 10, 2009, 04:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree. Stop whining and improve your product. It's been working pretty good for Firefox.

Josh:
Ray, what is getting IE off going to do? Do you know how many people that would confuse and annoy than it would help anything? Sure us techies would be good to go, but then the average consumer would be raped by companies like best buy and other services which would then charge users for a service call when they cannot "open the internet". Microsoft should be free to include IE in IT's product. They made it a part of the OS and it has proven that a good majority actually enjoy the functionality that this allows.

And as for deo, yes, I agree. Firefox isn't worried about making public statements and showing how superior their products are, rather improving the core and letting it go from there. Firefox had one massive publicity push while opera has tried numerous stunts like the infamous "I will swim the channel if we get so many downloads" stunt.

Ehtyar:
Ray, what is getting IE off going to do? Do you know how many people that would confuse and annoy than it would help anything? Sure us techies would be good to go, but then the average consumer would be raped by companies like best buy and other services which would then charge users for a service call when they cannot "open the internet". Microsoft should be free to include IE in IT's product. They made it a part of the OS and it has proven that a good majority actually enjoy the functionality that this allows.
-Josh (March 10, 2009, 05:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
That would be why Windows still comes with IE Joshua. Though I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say the majority enjoys IE, perhaps a more accurate description would be they find IE adequate for their needs (in many cases simply because it's what they're familiar with or because they're unaware of an alternative). Until of course you end up with malware on your machine thanks to it. There is a reason Firefox's market share is increasing at the rate it is.

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version