ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Find filenames/folders above certain length and offer to rename them

<< < (16/33) > >>

Target:
for a coding snack this is turning out to be quite an excercise :o

Be nice if:
one could expand the window horizontally.  Believe it or not some file names here are longer than will fit without scrolling.
highlighting on selected files could be adjusted on the fly, to match the value in the trim left/right spinners.
there were a 'trim between'.
one could select/copy directly from file names to paste into the 'custom replace' box.
there were an undo.
the tax man knocked on my door tomorrow to hand me a full, cash refund
-cranioscopical (March 23, 2009, 09:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

* I'll have a think about this one - I actually anticipated the question, but i was more concerned with getting it functional before worrying about anything like that
* are you asking for a 'real time' preview here?
* should be doable
* see above
* in my todo list.  I need to think about this some more though
* the cheques in the mail...
Good work so far.  This is probably one scenario you want to handle:

Files named:

file_01.jpg
file_02.jpg
file_03.jpg

If you trim right two places, and keep overwriting, you will end up with a single "file_.jpg" file.
-skwire (March 23, 2009, 11:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

many thanks, that's high praise indeed.

actually, this is pretty cool, not only have I written a file renamer, but it does compression as well!!

While I hadn't thought of this exact scenario, I knew there was always going to be a risk (hence the name).  At the end of the day we can't be protected from ourselves so there is implicitly a high level of responsibility on the user to take some care when carrying out these sorts of operations.

Having said that the idea is intriguing, but I can't quite see a strategy for dealing with it at this point  :huh:

cranioscopical:
for a coding snack this is turning out to be quite an excercise :o-Target (March 23, 2009, 11:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I realize most of that belongs on the three-course-meal table.
I didn't intend to buffet you with requests.

Be nice if:
one could expand the window horizontally.  Believe it or not some file names here are longer than will fit without scrolling.
highlighting on selected files could be adjusted on the fly, to match the value in the trim left/right spinners.
there were a 'trim between'.
one could select/copy directly from file names to paste into the 'custom replace' box.
there were an undo.
the tax man knocked on my door tomorrow to hand me a full, cash refund-cranioscopical (March 23, 2009, 09:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

* I'll have a think about this one - I actually anticipated the question, but i was more concerned with getting it functional before worrying about anything like that
* are you asking for a 'real time' preview here?
* should be doable
* see above
* in my todo list.  I need to think about this some more though
* the cheques in the mail...
-target
--- End quote ---

are you asking for a 'real time' preview here?
yes, I find it difficult to count off on the screen what the spinner will get me

the cheques in the mail... 
Uncanny!  The very words the tax man used.

Target:
what's happened to Lanux?  I thought he might be a bit more active on this...

Yes, I realize most of that belongs on the three-course-meal table.
I didn't intend to buffet you with requests.
-cranioscopical (March 24, 2009, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

that's not a problem, I'll just keep nibbling away at it. 

FYI, I haven't posted an update, but I've got both the 'betweens' and the copy/paste bits working, and I'm working on the undo list.

The list width is an issue that I'm trying to resolve as part of the undo list as well...

I'm going to need to digest the other requests some more before I do anything with them (I'd much rather produce a palatable solution than spewing out something that no one wants)

Also note that I'm off on holidays for a fortnight from Friday (back after Easter) and as I do most of this stuff on the bus to and from work I'll be taking this offline for most of that time (I will check in but not often).

If you (or anyone else) has any suggestions or requests they need to post them before CoB Friday (Australian time...) else I probably won't get to them till I'm back...

cranioscopical:
Also note that I'm off on holidays for a fortnight
-Target (March 24, 2009, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Holidays! For a fortnight! Didn't you just have Christmas morning off?

Thanks for even considering these ideas. None was intended to cause a problem.

Have a good break!

Target:
Also note that I'm off on holidays for a fortnight
-Target (March 24, 2009, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for even considering these ideas. None was intended to cause a problem.

Have a good break!
-cranioscopical (March 24, 2009, 06:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

and none has.  If it does, I'll let you know (rest assurred!!)

and I intend to...

and veering OT for a moment, what's the deal with your avatar?  for some time now I've been seeing a faint image in a red(ish) square... (affects some others as well)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version