topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Netvibes - What do you think?  (Read 6351 times)

redstarnyc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Netvibes - What do you think?
« on: March 07, 2009, 06:38 AM »
I've been using Netvibes for a few months now as a home base for monitoring my feeds and a few websites I'm interested in.

If I've learned anything from reading this forum, its that whatever I'm doing someone else on here is doing it smarter and faster.  That's why I'm asking if anyone on here is using Netvibes and if not, then what you are using to keep up with all your feeds and other stuff.
RedstarNYC

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Netvibes - What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 07:12 AM »
I use Netvibes as my home page and I really like it. I've been using it for awhile now and I have it extensively customized. I have 11 tabs, each filled with feeds.

The only problem is that recently Netvibes seems to be "unavailable" more frequently. When that happens I go to my backup - iGoogle.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 07:36 AM »
I had been using Google Reader for a while when I cam across Netvibes. I liked it because I could customize a lot, something Google Reader doesn't really offer. But after a while and with the many feeds I read (about 200) it became complicated to handle in Netvibes, and I went back to Google Reader.

I am very much used to reading all the items sequentially, so I do categorize my feeds but only for searching & finding if I want to recommend a certain feed to someone. The news items are just read one by one, as they are updated.

However, even though Google Reader is not beta anymore, changes are made by Google and then I have to wait for my browser extensions to be updated as well to cope with that change. This made me consider going away from Google Reader and try a completely different feed reader: newsbeuter.

To sum it up, google reader works but their changes to the interface make it a less pleasant experience so I will retake control of the software.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 11:59 AM »
At the risk of sounding totally retro, I use the Sage extension under Firefox. :)

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 12:29 PM »
I have never been into RSS readers or start pages much, years ago I did set up a My Yahoo page which I sometimes look at to this day. When I get online I usually end up going through a bunch sites and browse and read on the sites themselves. Experimented with having some feeds on Flock recently, not sure I will continue using it.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 07:37 PM »
At the risk of sounding totally retro, I use the Sage extension under Firefox. :)
+1

Ehtyar.

redstarnyc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 08:01 PM »

I've used Sage in the past and could just never get it set up the way I wanted to.

I've had some availability problems with Netvibes lately too.

Also wondering, is there a way to wipe out all of the Google Reader feeds and start over? 
RedstarNYC