ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Greatest Graphic Novel of All Time: Watchmen

<< < (9/13) > >>

Shades:
Felt totally dissatisfied after the movie (Eragon) and only now I hear it's about a story in a book. Should have guessed that after the ending of the movie  :-[

Maybe if I could get it as (damn near) free ebook or something, it would be worth reading. That movie really left a bad taste and I consider myself a fantasy fan because of all the books I read, movies I've seen and games I played (computer and table-top alike).

Sorry, but I disagree with you (at least with this movie :-)). Personal preference would be first the book and see the movie after when you are feeling up to it...for some (seriously) twisted up story adapted by the hollyweird studios.

Ah well, in this part of the world we have to wait at least 3 to 4 months before it is shown in the theaters. Time enough for me to get ready  ;)   

Mizraim:
I think movies work like this: Watch the movie before you read the book. That way if Hollywood totally smurfs up the book's story, well, it might still be a good movie but with a different story than the book. Then you'll have (potentially) seen a good movie and you can still read a good book.

I remember this is how it was with Eragon. People who had read the book absolutely hated the movie (including me), but most people who had not read the book enjoyed the movie (including my wife).
-Deozaan (March 08, 2009, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is exactly what to do! You always hear of the exact opposite happening though. Oh 'said title' is being made into a movie. **Rushes out to find/read/re-read book of 'said title'.*** Now I can go watch the movie...

Only to find the story doesn't follow, or has been changed so rashly, that it ruins the rest of the movie. Another epic example of this was Beowulf. The epic poem about Beowulf's heroic adventures takes him across the ocean to fight a monster spawned by the sin of a king. Upon destroying the monster, Beowulf is then instructed to kill the mother. And there is where the poem and the movie completely differ. (If you haven't read the book or seen the animated film, I won't spoil it.) Having never read the poem, I thought the movie was pretty good for a CG film. However upon researching more on the actual poem, I found the added/changed content disturbing. Why Hollywood deemed the change in the story is completely beyond me, and in my opinion, took away from the heroic nature of Beowulf.

Deozaan:
Mouser recommends Watchmen:

Nod5:
Many great suggestions here already. Let me add one not yet mentioned: The Walking Dead. Presently at issue #59 and it looks like it can go on for hundreds more.
http://www.boingboing.net/2006/10/25/walking-dead-scary-e.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Dead

Also, four great comic creators in one small photo:

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/03/06/crumb-clowes-ware-an.html

TucknDar:
Many great suggestions here already. Let me add one not yet mentioned: The Walking Dead. -Nod5 (March 15, 2009, 07:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
Great suggestion! Absolutely fabulous story, IMHO!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version