ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Open link (aka start download) with remote computer

(1/2) > >>

kae99:
Hello dear coders,
I have an idea for a "simple" program that i think can be very useful.

Here it is the scenario:
 - Many of us have a "home server" which manages all our downloads and stores all our multimedia files. (A Windows machine in my case)
 - We work from a different PC (e.g. our laptop) browsing the web and adding download jobs.
 - Most downloads (e.g. direct file download, bittorrent or emule links) are triggered just by opening a specific URL
 - We don't want to start the direct/P2P download in our actual PC (e.g. the laptop), but at the remote home server

Right now, there is no simple solution for this. If you want to start the download in the remote PC, you have to start a remote desktop connection to your home server or manage your P2P program through its web UI and start the download manually, which is quite cumbersome.

So, the request is pretty obvious :)
 ¿Would it be possible to implement some kind of program which will forward our local download requests so they will be started at the remote home server automatically?

It would probably require:
  - a small daemon at the home server which will wait for download requests
  - a "request forwarder" program which will associate itself with e.g. emule/bittorrent URLs in our laptop and will forward opening requests to the remote home server.

Of course there could be other solutions. For example, the "request forwarder" could do all the work by starting a ssh session in the background with the remote Windows server and starting the file download on his own.

Well, is there any brave coder who could provide a solution? :D

Thank you very much!!
Kae

mouser:
This idea came up many years ago on the forum.. and i still think it sounds like a good idea to me..  maybe it could be implemented using a firefox extension on the client and a very small daemon on the remote computer that is just allowed to launch certain allowed commandline executables with the passed url (such executables could include standalone downloader tools, etc).

justice:
Simple solution:

* Use a p2p program that can monitor a folder to autoload torrents or nzb's or whatever such as uTorrent or Alt.Binz
* Set up dropbox between home and work
* Use the program from step 1 to monitor a folder from step 2
* Add your torrent or nzb at place b to have it downloaded at place a.

mouser:
that's pretty clever.

justice:
It's what i use on occasion, even if you don't have two pcs on at the same time it saves you time because as soon as you turn on the pc at place a, dropbox will sync and the files will be loaded then - also uTorrent can move files out of the folder when they're loaded keeping it nice and tidy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version