ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Anal Program Monitor/Firewall

<< < (2/3) > >>

Darwin:
I have a licence for Sunbelt Firewall but gave up on it... because it drove me demented at the outset (as Chris notes)! Perhaps I should give it a chance? However, like f0dder, I've never had any trouble using the Windows provided firewall in either flavour (ie XP or Vista). Knock. On. Wood. Ouch!

Lashiec:
Ya know, app's PesterMe is much more light on resources than any other recommendation I can come up with, and it does the same job (annoying you 'til no end) :P

ThreatFire in its maximum reporting level is as comprehensive as it can be, though the dialogs were usually cryptic for the most obscure warnings (in version 3 at least), and I find myself wondering what the hell was the program reporting about. System Safety Monitor was also quite vocal in its number of warnings, and less anoying (systray popups instead of in-your-face ones), but it seems the program is abandoned and the company developing it went they way of the dodo.

bgd77:
Comodo
-40hz (March 01, 2009, 06:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

With Defence+ or without it?

40hz:
Comodo
-40hz (March 01, 2009, 06:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

With Defence+ or without it?
-bgd77 (March 02, 2009, 01:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've run it both ways. But to be honest, I'm perfectly happy leaving the Defense+ option turned off.

I'm currently running Comodo Firewall (free); the paid version of Avira Antivir; and PC Tools Threatfire (free). I've got Firefox set up with several security add-ons, and I'm hyper-careful about what software gets loaded on my machine. So for my setup, Defense+ is less of a feature to me.

Heuristic threat detectors can only do so much, and they can be pretty intrusive since they are designed to err on the side of caution. These days, if something comes up that makes me suspicious, I'll just fire up a process/port monitor combo and have a look around.

FWIW: My girlfriend is running Window's built-in firewall in conjunction with Avira Antivirus and Threatfire. And to date, she hasn't run into any problems on her machine.

Oh yeah, one other thing...she also makes it a point to stay on top of all her software's security updates.

I suspect that may also be a big help. ;) ;D

bgd77:
I also consider the Comodo firewall to be one of the best. But I really do not like (or understand) Defence+. So I do not use it. But as a firewall, it is very, very good. (Avira -> it seems to be one of the best antiviruses, I use the free version).

I use Comodo BoClean, but will try Threatfire also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version