ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Any freeware to change the case (capitalization) of clipboard text on the fly?

<< < (3/3)

garbanzo:
Thanks again for the ideas, rjbull.

I tried the free version of Text Monkey, but it has very few options, and can't do what I need.

I also tried TextMorph. What a mess! The installer wouldn't work, so I unpacked it, and threw an .exe extension on the biggest file in there. The app worked fine, but with no hotkey support, it's really not hlepful.

I have actually been using notepad2 today and it's working pretty well. It's speedy and it does a good job. It's a bit of extra work alt-tabbing around, but once I get a rhythm down, it goes pretty quick :)

rjbull:
I also tried TextMorph. What a mess! The installer wouldn't work, so I unpacked it, and threw an .exe extension on the biggest file in there. The app worked fine, but with no hotkey support, it's really not hlepful.
-garbanzo (February 26, 2009, 08:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think I had to use the alternative TextMorph23big.exe download.  Don't forget it has command line options, so you could probably write a batch file and invoke the .BAT with a system hotkey (<erm> blue sky idea).

I have actually been using notepad2 today and it's working pretty well. It's speedy and it does a good job. It's a bit of extra work alt-tabbing around, but once I get a rhythm down, it goes pretty quick :)

--- End quote ---

I'd have suggested TED Notepad as a swiss army knife text editor, but you'd still have the Alt-Tabbing.  Had you considered either (a) automating that with, say, AutoHotkey (AHK), or (b) even making a custom AHK script to do the entire task, i.e. a custom sentence-case utility?  AHK is very popular (to say the least) on DonationCoder and you'd have plenty of help.

wperkins48:
OK, here comes a suggestion for a program that will do exactly what you want. It may seem like like an odd recommendation, but the program is HotKeyz (http://www.skynergy.com/hotkeyz.html) - it has all of ChngCase capabilities built in. And you don't have to use the Clipboard; just highlight the text and change it.

Want to have WIN-U convert text to UPPERCASE, have WIN-L convert text to lowercase and have WIN-S convert text to Sentence Case - consider it done. Are those key combinations taken? Chnge the combination to whichever you wish. (I don't use the Title Case or tOGGLE cASE abilities, but I could just by assigning a key combination...)

HotKeyz also has a lot more tricks up its sleeve than just working with text. I make use of this programs for many more hotkey-related actions than this, but it does this very well (even after apostrophes…;>)

Doppelganger:
I tried a number of clipboard managers looking for the best combination of:

-Copy formatted text, paste as plain text (as two steps: 1.copy & 2.paste, no in-between step)
-Paste from clipboard history (as either formatted text or plain text)
-Small memory footprint, minimal performance drag

I liked ArsClip on the first two fronts, but not on the 3rd.  I eventually turned to the clipboard management built into my favorite multi-purpose app (launcher, sys info, window management, hotkey manager, sticky notes, etc): Windows PowerPro.

I then decided that it would be nice to add the ability to change text case easily.  PowerPro has functions for converting text to upper, lower, title, sentence case and more.

Two other tools that can handle this sort of thing are AutoIt and AutoHotKey. 

KamyKaze:
People please...! A good candidate for best freeware for on-the-fly capitalization lives right here on Donationcoder.com !
Skrommel's CAPshift

I also use a clipboard extender with capitalization capabilities but I prefer CAPshift's highligth&change approach.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version