topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 2:37 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SIMPOL is here!  (Read 8686 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SIMPOL is here!
« on: May 19, 2009, 03:46 PM »
SIMPOL is here! :)  "SIMPOL" is a new RAD and is pronounced "simple" (in English) and is supposed to be "simple" as well, but I have not tried it... yet.  It produces cross-platform executables, i.e., you write the apps in SIMPOL and compile for Windows, Mac and/or Linux.

You can find info at SIMPOL in English or SIMPOL in German (Deutsche)

Here is the email I received...
SIMPOL Email
SIMPOL Professional is available for download !

Today marks the start of a new era in Rapid Application Development

With SIMPOL, you can develop your application once
 - and then run it on Linux, Mac-OS or Windows

SIMPOL Professional is a world-class toolkit to enable you to
create software Applications
 - faster and easier than ever before.

The same tools can also be used by expert programmers to create
large and sophisticated systems
 - faster and easier than ever before.

It is available NOW, from www.simpol.com

It includes not-for-resale copies of:
 * SIMPOL Personal
 * SIMPOL Multi-User database Engine

Check out our updated websites at:  www.simpol.com or www.simpol.de
=============================================

If you purchased the pre-release and are now upgrading to the
final release, enter your registration number in the discount
code box to receive your discounted price.

If you have any questions, please contact me directly or:

US, Canada & South America
 =========================
 Deborah Casha
 Tel:    +1 631 757 9343
 Email:  [email protected]

Germany, Austria & Switzerland
 ============================
 Yvonne Theunissen
 Tel:    +49 2131 65544
 Email:  [email protected]

Regards

Rufus Greenbaum
Director of Sales & Marketing
Email:      [email protected]
Direct UK:  +44 20 3286 1284
Direct US:  +1 631 615 7761

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Simpol Ltd                   Tel:  +44 1223 421119
St John’s Innovation Centre  Fax:  +44 870 132 0720
Cambridge, CB4 0WS, UK       Web:  www.simpol.com

Enjoy!

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: SIMPOL is here!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 06:28 PM »
So, what is this? A payware closed-source frankenBASIC using wxWidgets?
- carpe noctem
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 06:42 PM by f0dder »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 11:21 AM »

Don't be so harsh.  :P

It's a descendant of Superbase, which was one of the first database RADs for personal computers. (MagicPC  :-* and Clarion were two others.) It was way ahead of its time when it first came out. Surprisingly powerful too. Sort of an early version of MS Access.

One company I worked with had a German subsidiary that was actively developing all sorts of neat business and financial apps with Superbase for internal use. And they were running Superbase on Amigas!!! (Which tells you how long ago that was! ;D)

8)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 03:43 PM »

I will let you and others be the judge.  When I received the email, I came to DC and searched the forums for "simpol."  No hits, so I posted.  No spamming here, just a notice of what I *thought* would be apropos in this environment, but...
for the record...
I have no expectation of any compensation for posting this on the DC forum nor has there been any offer from the developers of SIMPOL.  I will tell you that I *had* a mutual acquaintance at one time, but that has evaporated.

[Edit - Spelling]
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:43 AM by CodeTRUCKER »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 05:55 PM »
CodeTRUCKER: wasn't being suspicious of you, sorry if it came out that way.

And yes, the post came out a bit harsh, but really - you go to their site, and all you see is a lot of superlatives a bout a product that isn't available yet, and not much to back up the claims. I always get suspicious when I see a frankenbasic, especially when it's payware and closed-source... I couldn't imagine locking my code to a platform that proprietary. And I also get suspicious of the somewhat dumbing-down they've got going - "you're probably too dumb to use C/Java, but you can sure use our product" >_<.

Perhaps I'm being a bit elitist here, but I wouldn't trust software by an author who feels java is too complicated. Especially not if that software has anything to do with billing, money, etc.

It might be that SIMPOL is the best thing since sliced bread for some_purpose, but imho they're not selling it very well, then. The name and website doesn't help much either :)
- carpe noctem

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 07:38 PM »
CodeTRUCKER: wasn't being suspicious of you, sorry if it came out that way.

And yes, the post came out a bit harsh, but really - you go to their site, and all you see is a lot of superlatives a bout a product that isn't available yet, and not much to back up the claims. I always get suspicious when I see a frankenbasic, especially when it's payware and closed-source... I couldn't imagine locking my code to a platform that proprietary. And I also get suspicious of the somewhat dumbing-down they've got going - "you're probably too dumb to use C/Java, but you can sure use our product" >_<.

Perhaps I'm being a bit elitist here, but I wouldn't trust software by an author who feels java is too complicated. Especially not if that software has anything to do with billing, money, etc.

It might be that SIMPOL is the best thing since sliced bread for some_purpose, but imho they're not selling it very well, then. The name and website doesn't help much either :)

Thanks, but I was really covering the bases after I read some threads about spamming on DC.

As I said, I did have a mutual acquaintance and after being a trucker for some 35 years, he wrote a pretty all-in-one software package for recording and maintaining business records for owner-operators.  He originally wrote in Superbase.  He has been anticipating this release for about three years. I am confident he is ecstatic about SIMPOL for two reasons:

1. It will grant him some migration savings and give him significant ability to bring graphics to his program.

2.  He is 74 years-old now and by his own admission, he does not have a lot of extra time to mess around! 

I hope I am that prolific at 60! :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 07:42 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 11:28 AM »
And I also get suspicious of the somewhat dumbing-down they've got going - "you're probably too dumb to use C/Java, but you can sure use our product" >_<.

Good point.  :up:

But then again, weren't spreadsheet programs and their so-called "macro" and scripting features developed for business people who were "too dumb" to learn how to write financial programs using a "real" computer language like COBOL, FORTRAN, RPG III, or C? I remember being told that by my corporate IT guys when Lotus 1-2-3 first came out and I was on the steering committee that blessed-off on licensing and deploying it company-wide.

Seems the IT guys where I worked were getting worried about how the MBAs were now able to do their own financial modeling and analysis without having to petition the IT department for a programmer or mainframe time.

FWIW I don't think 'closed' or 'proprietary' should be automatic deal breakers for software intended for use in developing financial apps. There are few software products more proprietary or closed than spreadsheets. But that doesn't prevent a huge number of companies from depending on MS Excel for critical financial information and analysis.

Unfortunately (at least from my experience) a lot of financial people make the mistake of using a database when they should be using a spreadsheet; and a spreadsheet when they should be using a database. And then there are all those cases when you really need an app whose function lies somewhere in between.

I think SIMPOL is looking to fill the platform gap for business cases which can't be adequately handled by either a standalone spreadsheet or a small database app.

Just my 2¢

---

P.S. You are right about the product name, the website, and the overall marketing. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 06:18 PM »
And I also get suspicious of the somewhat dumbing-down they've got going - "you're probably too dumb to use C/Java, but you can sure use our product" >_<.

P.S. You are right about the product name, the website, and the overall marketing. It doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Hmmm... when I looked at the website, I did not see deficiencies, but I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer either.  :-[

I wonder how they (SIMPOL) might consider that two "IT developers" evaluated their attempt at marketing (the website) and found it lacking and/or even counter-productive to their initiative?

Given that both of you have a professional perspective that is contrary to what they are trying to do, I think your critique would be beneficial to them, et.al. 

SIMPOL has been in development for two years.  I know if I was attempting to launch something like SIMPOL and the consumers were being "turned off" by my website I would sure want to know, IMHO.

Just a thought.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 10:47 PM »
I know if I was attempting to launch something like SIMPOL and the consumers were being "turned off" by my website I would sure want to know, IMHO.

Just a thought.
-CodeTRUCKER (May 21, 2009, 06:18 PM)

Oh, that's just me being a prick! ;D I once had career as an accountant, and (later) a corporate financial planner in a Fortune 500 company. I even have a piece of parchment with some beautifully engraved paragraphs in Latin attesting to a degree in the same - so I tend to get a mite opinionated and ornery when it comes to financial software.

I think the thing that bothered me was that the website wasn't really finished. When you are planning on releasing a product to the business community, you really can't afford to have links dead-ending, downloads not easily available, or confusing navigation. Far better to hold off until you're ready to roll.

And the amount of information required for registration is ridiculous, not to mention flying in the face of everything we've learned about how to conduct that sort of thing. In this day and age, site registrations should require little (if anything) more than a valid e-mail address.

If they're serious about this, they need to get familiar with the best practices of the software industry. Right now they're releasing a relatively unknown and somewhat unusual product in a crowded and mature market. If it were my product, I'd consider it time to be running in full evangelistic mode, whereby I'd be doing everything I could to get my product into as many hands as possible in order to create product awareness and some buzz in the press.

They need to provide easily obtainable downloads, minimal registration hassles, a newsletter chock full of useful information and case studies, and a ton of sample applications for people to look at and build on. In short, they need to come out with both guns blazing if they hope to be anything more than a niche product. Taking a high-brow marketing approach seldom works. One superb business application (Javelin Plus) made the mistake of doing that back in the days of DOS, and is now remembered as an interesting bit of software history rather than the application that perfected and ultimately replaced the ordinary spreadsheet.

FWIW, I did pop a few suggestions over to them. It will be interesting to see how they react.

I intend to give this little urchin of theirs a tryout, although I think their asking price of $499 for the "Pro" version is a little on the proud side. Be interesting to see how well that number works out for them.

Also, thanks for finding and sharing your find on the forum 'CT'. I sometimes wonder what's become of a few apps that seemed to have disappeared over the years. Superbase was one of them. :up:

8)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 01:15 AM »
@40hz,

Thanks for the "How to Review a Website 101."  I do not mean that sarcastically, either.  Your laundry list will serve me well as I continue to develop my own attempt.

Hey, keep this thread handy and re-visit it with what you discover and how they respond.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2009, 04:05 AM »
40hz & CT

I am grateful to you both for this topic on  SIMPOL.
(Disclosure : I resell Clarion in Asia, and am always interested in RAD tools esp crossplatform ones, as Clarion is only Windows & .NET ) . I welcome any comments on SIMPOL/similar tools.

Do you know any sites that discuss/compare RAD tools like VB vs Delphi vs Clarion vs Windev vs  SIMPOL etc. ?

Thanks !
SKA

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2009, 01:30 PM »
40hz & CT

I am grateful to you both for this topic on  SIMPOL.
(Disclosure : I resell Clarion in Asia, and am always interested in RAD tools esp cross-platform ones, as Clarion is only Windows & .NET ) . I welcome any comments on SIMPOL/similar tools.

Do you know any sites that discuss/compare RAD tools like VB vs Delphi vs Clarion vs Windev vs  SIMPOL etc. ?

Thanks !
SKA

You are most welcome!  Glad to help, but unfortunately, I do not know of any, but if I come across any I will post back here and shoot you a PM. 

One thing is that SIMPOL is brand new on the market.  It may be a while before any reviews are done, but there are a lot of really bright and knowledgeable members at DC.  I expect one of them can at least point you in the right direction.

Fair winds