ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Password Protect File Or Folder?

<< < (2/6) > >>

bgd77:
This is not exactly what you have asked, but maybe you are interested in it.

http://www.cleanersoft.com/hidefolder/free_hide_folder.htm

It hides the respective folder and, to unhide it, you have to enter a password in the program. This way other persons that use your computer won't even know that a folder exists.

I used it and I only had one problem: I forgot my password  :)

siouxdax:
Thanks for the links. Looks like Androsa FileProtector could be a candidate to solve my issue.

Thanks again! Cheers!

steeladept:
TrueCrypte is the most popular freeware but it's not exactly secure but most users consider it secure enough.
-Paul Keith (February 20, 2009, 09:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am no expert, Paul, but I thought TrueCrypt was as secure as any consumer/enterprise security system available (note I am specifically excluding governments as they *MAY* have more secure algorithms).  Why do you say it is not exactly secure?

Also, I can say from my experience that TrueCrypt is quite stable.  The only time I ever had ANY issue with it dealt with entering a wrong password because I didn't realize I was adding non-printing characters somehow. (Actually I know how - NEVER copy and paste your password into it!)  Once I passed that minor issue, it has worked flawlessly.  Well provided access flawlessly.  I sometimes have issues with the mounting of favorite partitions not working as smoothly as I think it should, but this has nothing to do with accessing it - only with accessing several mounts at once.

Paul Keith:
Yes, that's what I meant by secure enough.

I would say the problem with privacy apps is that the inherent structure of Open Source doesn't yield as much benefit to this category of software compared to other categories. It's the same with Open Source Antiviruses. It's not that these aren't good enough for common usage especially when you're not being targeted but reactive countermeasures as well as the source being exposed means as soon as you get just bits of black sheeps bent on hacking it, you never know when you can be exposed and it becomes a battle of who gets victimized first and then reports it:

http://www.darkreading.com/security/encryption/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=211201156

This doesn't mean that commercial products are inherently superior though. I myself believe in this xkcd strip:

steeladept:
Okay.  I just read your post as TrueCrypt doesn't use the strongest available encryption, but that isn't what you said.  I must say for clarity I don't believe there is any closed source or commercial software available to the public that has a better algorithm or better implimentation, just different ones.  If this is not true, I am very interested to learn about the "better alternatives".

Thanks for the clarification.

BTW:  Can't see the comic strip.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version