ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why I Avoid Apple Products

<< < (3/9) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Oh - I suppose there is the iPod and the iPhone (both ideas stolen from other developers and manufacturers). I don't really count people who buy those as real people because anyone who buys a product where you can't change the battery must be an idiot, and anyone who pays a premium price because it comes in a plain box with only one button is either stupid or ...well stupid I guess (worth saying twice that one).
--- End quote ---

well i want to go on record saying that i don't feel this way.. i can see lots of rational reasons why people would buy Apple products, and there is much to admire in their approach and design choices.  i don't think anyone is stupid for buying and using Apple stuff, it's just there are a few things that prevent me from doing so.
-mouser (February 19, 2009, 03:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just feel that iPods and iPhones have become a cultish phenomenon which rather belie common sense. I cannot understand why the iPod has become ubiquitous when other media players have equal functions, equal quality in construction and sound, are cheaper to purchase and have replaceable batteries and yet struggle to sell.

To my mind it is a triumph of marketting more than product design. I know a number of people who have an irrational need to keep replacing their iPods as new models emerge - it doesn't make any sense when all they really use it for is to listen to music and watch the odd cartoon film they purchased from iStore to prove the video works.

I can see no rational reason at all to buy an iPhone with its expensive price tag, expensive service lock-in and Apple's  control freakery on what you are allowed to do with your own device! It's not as though there aren't alternatives that are probably more flexible and fuller featured at a lower price.

Jimdoria:
Anybody who doesn't realize that marketing always trumps technology in the technology business is either very young, not paying attention, or has severe memory problems.

I admire your stance, Mouser. I too think an open platform is better in the long run. But Apple clearly sees its sale of consumer devices as a "razor and razorblades" deal, and is doing a lot to try an keep competing razor blades out of its market.

And let's not forget that Apple got where it is because of it's deals with record and movie companies. Those guys are so paranoid they make Bill Gates look like an advocate for piracy. They would never have done the deal with Apple if Apple hadn't promised them a closed, secure platform to ensure that the criminals consumers who buy the product wouldn't turn around and steal share the product with all their friends.

On the other hand, I can't go a week of reading Lifehacker without seeing some new article about "jailbroken" iPhones, so obviously their iron curtain has a few, rather large holes in it. Geek Darwinism? Those who need to hack it bad enough can do so, and Apple winks but gets to keep a straight face when it deals with the content providers?

There's definitely a cultish element to Apple's products, but there's a practical aspect too. The iPhone really was an advancement, even if the underlying idea was not original. User experience counts for something (a lot really) and Apple's always been good at making technology that doesn't cause average users to curse and throw things. Not many manufacturer and software publishers can say that. Not to mention the cultural factor, which Apple certainly cultivates but can't exactly control. People think Apple's products are "cool" for many reasons, not just those being promulgated by Hollywood and Cupertino.

Fedorov:
I'm split 50/50 on this. In one way I don't like the lack of flash support and all the other lockdowns but on the other hand their products "just work" and are so easy to use.

I remember getting my AppleTV couple years ago - I still rate it now as the easiest device to setup EVER! I took it out the box gave it some power, hooked up video cables and it just worked, not even a quick glance of a setup guide required.

I've had PocketPC phones, Symbian phones, but the iPhone just makes me want to use my phone more, the interface is just gorgeous, the appstore is amazing - I've bought loads of apps, most for the price of a pint of beer and they are superb.

My wife has a shuffle, 6yr old has an original Nano, 10yr old got her an iPod Touch, I have my iPhone and also a Nano for use in gym. Even have a Mac Mini in the bedroom with SlingPlayer for watching all our channels upstairs and surfing.

Hhhmm, okay, maybe I'm 80/20 in favour of Apple then ;)

Darwin:
I like Apple stuff - I'm just not drinking the Apple KoolAid... That is, I get sick and tired of being told that unless I have an iPod or other Apple hardware, I'm just not cool enough. WTF? An mp3 player is an mp3 player is an mp3 player. Am I missing something? I totally get Jim's point above about marketing trumping technology, but it doesn't mean I have to like it!

Simply put, I resent the whole "lifestyle" aspect of Apple - the cultishness as others have referred to it here. No doubt if I was an Apple freak I'd resent what I would then perceive to be cultishness amongst the Windows faithful...

The above points aside - I have an old iBook G3 Dual USB running Tiger and enjoy playing with it. However, the hardware really isn't up to the software that I'm running on it (Office 2008 and the aforementioned OS X 10.4.11) so I don't go much beyond using it as a plaything. Still, I can see that with more modern hardware, OS X would be a fine environment within which to work...

40hz:
Anybody who doesn't realize that marketing always trumps technology in the technology business is either very young, not paying attention, or has severe memory problems.
-Jimdoria (February 19, 2009, 06:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

While that may often be true for trivial consumer devices, I don't think that generalization applies to all technology.

(BTW: I'm not all that young; I have been paying attention; and my memory is just fine!  :P ;D )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version