ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why I Avoid Apple Products

<< < (2/9) > >>

cranioscopical:
I try not to have too much to do with crazies - or their friends!
-40hz (February 19, 2009, 09:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

What the heck are you doing on here, then?!   ;D

Carol Haynes:
Have you noticed how Apple have cornered the market in product placement in US TV series.

Many people on the West Wing had Apple computers (even though the Whitehouse doesn't apparently have any), school teachers (Boston Public) all use Apple computers even when they can't afford books or a private life. My favourite was on House M.D. where the hospital apparently has an Apple MRI scanner - I nearly fell off my chair when I saw that one.

Boston Public was a funny one because there were Apple computers visible everywhere but the closing credits only credit one computer company - Hewlett Packard!

I presume they are working on the assumption that if the public see the Apple logo through the media often enough they will actually get people to believe that there is a general market out there for Apple PCs and iMacs whereas they are owned by a tiny minority of individuals and the only major market they seem to have in business is the graphics market and that's mainly for historical and religious reasons.

Oh - I suppose there is the iPod and the iPhone (both ideas stolen from other developers and manufacturers). I don't really count people who buy those as real people because anyone who buys a product where you can't change the battery must be an idiot, and anyone who pays a premium price because it comes in a plain box with only one button is either stupid or ...well stupid I guess (worth saying twice that one).

40hz:
I try not to have too much to do with crazies - or their friends!
-40hz (February 19, 2009, 09:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

What the heck are you doing on here, then?!   ;D
-cranioscopical (February 19, 2009, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well...I was on a plane flight. We hit really bad weather...then we saw this island...

And I woke up here! ;D 8)

mouser:
Oh - I suppose there is the iPod and the iPhone (both ideas stolen from other developers and manufacturers). I don't really count people who buy those as real people because anyone who buys a product where you can't change the battery must be an idiot, and anyone who pays a premium price because it comes in a plain box with only one button is either stupid or ...well stupid I guess (worth saying twice that one).
--- End quote ---

well i want to go on record saying that i don't feel this way.. i can see lots of rational reasons why people would buy Apple products, and there is much to admire in their approach and design choices.  i don't think anyone is stupid for buying and using Apple stuff, it's just there are a few things that prevent me from doing so.

Deozaan:
Have you noticed how Apple have cornered the market in product placement in US TV series.

Many people on the West Wing had Apple computers (even though the Whitehouse doesn't apparently have any), school teachers (Boston Public) all use Apple computers even when they can't afford books or a private life. My favourite was on House M.D. where the hospital apparently has an Apple MRI scanner - I nearly fell off my chair when I saw that one.

Boston Public was a funny one because there were Apple computers visible everywhere but the closing credits only credit one computer company - Hewlett Packard!-Carol Haynes (February 19, 2009, 01:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not only that, but they've had a monopoly on the movie industry for quite some time as well. I first noticed this in 1996 when Independence Day came out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version