ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

WhyReboot?

<< < (2/4) > >>

ExodusDev:
yeah it reports a couple more registry things...

but it brings up a reasonable point - whyreboot? hasn't been updated in over 2 years and it's a very simple program..
i wonder if a good coding snack might not be to implement this and look for any other registry keys or files that might be useful to see.
not sure there is anything to update but could if so it would make a good coding snack.
-mouser (December 03, 2005, 07:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

As the author of WhyReboot, I wanted to drop in and say "hi", and address this issue.

First, I've just updated WhyReboot - it's now available on my new site, http://exodusdev.com/products/whyreboot (please update your links, and please avoid linking directly to the downloadable file, because the name/location of the file may change as I update versions, etc.)

The recent updates are cosmetic, but I will be looking at improving the program's functionality if it makes sense.

I've done little with WhyReboot because it fulfills its purpose -- to tell you about pending file operations that are scheduled to happen after a reboot.  The methods used by Windows to control pending file operations have not changed as far as I know.  So, no need to update WhyReboot.

It might be possible to expand the scope of WhyReboot, to include other configuration changes that take place after a reboot, but I'm not sure that adds much value.

Anyway, feel free to visit our new site (http://exodusdev.com) and we plan on adding a forum for WhyReboot-related topics and other issues. 

Regards,

Michael Curry
http://exodusdev.com

mouser:
Michael!

Great to see you stop by - I should have updated this post when I saw that WhyReboot? was being updated recently.

Thanks for a great program, it really is a must have little tool.  :Thmbsup:

ExodusDev:
Michael!

Great to see you stop by - I should have updated this post when I saw that WhyReboot? was being updated recently.

Thanks for a great program, it really is a must have little tool.  :Thmbsup:
-mouser (December 21, 2006, 12:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for the kind words.

I know I've not done anything substantial with WhyReboot for quite some time... its interesting, it was flying 'under the radar' (this site, and about ten others, had linked to it) for a few years, then, all of a sudden in January '06, we got tons of sites linking in - mainly due to digg.com and LifeHacker.com listings, among others.  My old site got hammered for a few days (see attached chart at end of this post, or click here to go to alexa.com.)

In any case, I appreciate your feedback, I take pride in making useful stuff, so it's always nice to know that people find WhyReboot useful.

KenR:
What a fantastic program!!! Thanks for letting us know about it mouser.

Ken

springro:
How about adding something to the program that warns,

"Warning:  You've managed to get a ton of programs hanging in memory that probably shouldn't be there and eating memory and disk cache.  Your computer will keep getting slower until you do a restart!"
--- End quote ---

But seriously, any way to add something that could check for the issues that cause this type of slowdown? 
Maybe a baseline at startup, and then warn when some limit is reached?

Sorry, can't be more specific because I don't know the root cause is of this condition.  Just just starts refusing to open, Excel has problems saving, and you get just a "bong" sound when trying to launch some applications.

Am I being silly? :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version