ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The ultimate piece of retro-computing

<< < (3/3)

40hz:
The Graphoplex slide rule I used in physics classes in France in the 1960's (and which I still have, although I haven't used it in decades) had a magnification attachment that allowed you to interpolate an extra digit of precision, as well as scales for squares, cubes, natural logs, trigonometric functions and more.
-xtabber (February 16, 2009, 08:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Same as the K&E I inherited from my father, which I also haven't used in decades. ;D

I've also have a circular slide rule he gave me, which got a lot of use when I first went to college.

It was soon replaced by a Texas Instruments SR-10 "slide rule" calculator. It cost about $150 dollars at the time, which would translate out to about 600 of today's dollars. I loved it because it had a square root key and I was taking statistics when I got it.

Unfortunately, I pretty much forgot how to efficiently calculate square roots manually after that. ;D

Edvard:
Hey 40hz, check out these babies.
Good to know my soft spot for old tech is not alone...  :Thmbsup:

tymrwt33:
You may laugh at your granddad all you want , but consider the availability of calculating devices to general public, or students: log tables (if you know what they are), slide rules, mechanical calculators known as Comptometers, twice the size of a typewriter and generally available in businesses only, first electric calculators desk models only, then pocket calculators, then home computers such as Commodore 64.

I bought my first electronic computer at K-mart around 1971, when they firs became available to general public. It was the size of external DVD recorder, cost me $129 and lasted about 18 months.

40hz:
Hey 40hz, check out these babies.
Good to know my soft spot for old tech is not alone...  :Thmbsup:
-Edvard (February 16, 2009, 07:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thank you thank you thank you!

What an awesome link. 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version