ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Finally perfected my download commenter after only 8 years

<< < (3/6) > >>

rjbull:
I still have to have the self-discipline, and time, to actually add a description...  :(

-rjbull (February 14, 2009, 05:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
The latest XYplorer (BETA) gives you a way to select a description from a user-created (unlimited) set of ready-to-use descriptions. Spares you the typing... ;)
-DonL (February 16, 2009, 06:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

But the user would have to set up the boilerplate text.  Is there any semi-automated way to import it from e.g. FILE_ID.DIZ, PAD files, or whatever?

DonL:
I still have to have the self-discipline, and time, to actually add a description...  :(

-rjbull (February 14, 2009, 05:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
The latest XYplorer (BETA) gives you a way to select a description from a user-created (unlimited) set of ready-to-use descriptions. Spares you the typing... ;)
-DonL (February 16, 2009, 06:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

But the user would have to set up the boilerplate text.  Is there any semi-automated way to import it from e.g. FILE_ID.DIZ, PAD files, or whatever?
-rjbull (February 16, 2009, 07:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not from factory, but you could create such things (or have somebody do it for you) using scripting.

olamoree:
In the daze of Win98SE, a South African guy, Johannes Plachy, (Copyright 1997 {[email protected]}) wrote Annotator or AnnotateIt! which added a tab to the file Properties box called Annotation with a little notepad icon.  I used that for years!  It has a pretty big writing area, so I would note the URL and date when I downloaded the item, then dates when it was used/installed, then anytime, I could add comments about my experiences with the item/proggy and any other information that seemed important... even when it was eventually uninstalled.  Then along came XP and altho even today the tab Annotation still appears in all of my Properties tabs for a file, if I put any information in it is either lost, appears in ALL Annotation boxes... or none.  When this proggy broke, it broke my heart as I have never seen anything quite so handy, useful and convenient for making notes on a file.  May it someday be resurrected... and even if it was Shareware, it would be worth it.  Today, I have to make all those notes in my computer-side notebook with uncertain results and hard to find later.  I am not a programmer, but if I was, I would immediately start on a replacement for Annotator!

Ali

Ali

MilesAhead:
That annotator sounds familiar.  It might have been the reason I tried to do a Property Page extension so I could code something similar.  I seem to remember the little notepad icon.  In my implementation the comment can be about 4 kb. Visual C++ 6 is probably the most stable for doing shell extensions.  The only thing is when you do the property page if you try to customize anything it's hell.   I tried to use a slightly larger font and it totally destroys all the metrics.  So I'm stuck with the system 8 pt font. It's very limiting. But every time I looked at a Delphi 5 demo for a shell extension, the demos wouldn't even run without trapping out. Anyway, you should give Tooltip a try if you liked the other property page gizmo.  Doesn't cost you anything. :)

IL1keT0Donate:
In the daze of Win98SE, a South African guy, Johannes Plachy, (Copyright 1997 {[email protected]}) wrote Annotator or AnnotateIt! which added a tab to the file Properties box called Annotation with a little notepad icon.  ... Then along came XP and altho even today the tab Annotation still appears in all of my Properties tabs for a file, if I put any information in it is either lost, appears in ALL Annotation boxes... or none. ...
-olamoree (February 16, 2009, 07:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Arh the wonders of a good search engine: the program olamoree refers to reply #12 is called ANNOTSX v1.0.0

Description for ANNOTSX v1.0.0:
Is a Windows shell extension that lets you add comments to any file. Once installed, ANNOTSX adds a new page to the "properties" folder of each of your files. This "annotation" page is accessible by simply right-clicking on any file and choosing "properties". In this page, you can add, edit and remove file comments that can be longer than the 255 character limitation that Windows imposes on file names.

Annotation Shell extension for use in all Windows version (Vista not tested) and can be found at the download page of Johannes Plachy's current website  One Step Ahead Software. If this program is such a good file annotator as olamoree suggests, then perhaps someone should write to Johannes and tell him there is a small hopefully fixable problem and then all our troubles will be solved and we'll all have a working annotator (that works well up to Win XP and probably Vista too, if run in Program Compatibility mode.

I personally haven't tested ANNOTSX because I'm in the middle of legal hassles and don't want to change anything on my PC at this exact moment in time, but it sounds like the answer to all of our problems.

So, would anyone like to install ANNOTSX and give it a try and if it needs a tweak to get it working properly, then send Johannes a quick email?

Failing that, File Notes Organizer 3 must have surely been updated by now and the dreaded "Blue Screen of Death", patteo referred in reply #5 to has probably been fixed by now, although, it must be said, the program seems to do a lot more than just simple file annotation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version