ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

single sata drive install xp first and then vista but have to change bios

<< < (3/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Hey f0dder does this mean i would have to reinstall everything. and can i make the cd in vista to burn and then install.
I mean to say use nlite in vista with my xp install cd and then burn all of it with the fixes to a new xp install cd.
thanks

-topcattroy (February 12, 2009, 07:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes to those for XP - I had to use nLite to create an installation disc with the required SATA drivers to get Windows XP to install. You shouldn't need to do this for Vista (and if you do you should use vLite)

You could probably do a repair install of Windows XP from the nLited CD but you would then probably need to fix the Vista installation too as XP's installer will overwrite the boot sector.

I am not sure how you do that in Vista but in XP you run the recovery console and type FIXBOOT at the command prompt. There must be something similar in Vista.

topcattroy:
ok i finally when and bought a floppy drive tried to install the drivers using F6 key and that didn't work. So now i have a second hard drive
i installed and im gonna install xp on one and vista on the other. Just wondering if i need to set bios to raid. to install or just after i install
both operating systems.

topcattroy:
oh by the way i used nlite and it does the same thing. i have to change bios to boot between them
seem the drivers that came with the computer don't work, and the drivers i downloaded from medion don't work either.
So thats why i finally said im done.
Going with the two hard drives installing on both different operating systems

Carol Haynes:
You don't want to enable RAID - if you do the two drives will probably appear as one!

They should just be listed as two separate drives.

Having said that if they are connected to the same SATA interface I would guess you might have the same problems trying to install XP on that drive!

topcattroy:
thanks everyone, FINALLY got it to work, what i did was used kill disk for both my hard drives.
Then i installed xp on the new hard drive i installed. Then i installed vista on the defalt hard drive that came with the computer.
Here the thing though i installed the new drive into the ide port of my mother board.
So after that i was able to set bios to ahci and not ide. Don't know how this actually worked but it set
that drive to primary.
I still don't have the choice for which operating system to use. But i start my computer and hit the F8 key to go to boot menu
Here is were my drives come up. Then i select the xp drive. If i just hit power on button and not F8 key it boots into vista.
I did however had to install my audio card drivers which is what i found was the entire problem, go figure.
After that the two drives come up as drive c: under what ever system i booted to.
So if im using the xp drive the letter for that is c and vista is g
If im in vista the system drive is c and xp is I . :-\
Not sure how all this managed to work , because i spent 10 hours to get it to work and installed operating system like over and over.
If anyone else has this problem post here and ill try and help.
My computer is a medion triple core from aldi's grocery store.
It did come with drivers for xp even thought it was installed with vista.
Hope this helps.
thanks again to all.
troy

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version