ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (1131/1232) > >>

IainB:
This made me smile:
Docker makes me sad. 70s UNIX tools wrapped in a gigantic binary file with a comic-style logo added on top of it, and suddenly it is "the next big thing". Bah, kids today.
-Tuxman (November 26, 2018, 01:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

app103:
Thanks!  Very useful!  I'm surprised that USPS doesn't socialize that more!
-wraith808 (November 26, 2018, 09:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

A few of reasons:

1. Not available in all locations, yet.
2. There's a lot of FUD related controversy and confusion surrounding it.
  A. Too many people think that anyone can sign up to get alerts about your mail, not just you, by simply scraping info about you off the internet.
  B. Too many people think the USPS is opening up your mail and emailing you scans of your mail before it's delivered, thereby reading it and turning over copies of the scans to NSA.
  C. Too many people think it's a bad idea to give the government (and the NSA) more personally identifying info about yourself, tying together a name, street address, phone number, and e-mail address, along with the contents of your mail, such as bank and credit card account info, etc. (see B)

It's crazy what the tinfoil hat people think is going on, when the USPS is simply trying to thwart mail theft, which is becoming a much bigger problem in the digital age, with all the online shopping that is going on, and so many packages being delivered getting stolen, because they can't fit in a typical mailbox.

In any case, if you have a tracking number for a package, you can always sign up for alerts related to that specific delivery, even if Informed Delivery is not available in your area, yet.

wraith808:
Thanks!  It was available, and I'm surprised at the level of detail- I'm sure it will come in handy some day!

IainB:
All about The Mole on the NASA Insight mission: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/insight

IainB:
How many people looked at the rest of the pictures there?
-Arizona Hot (November 22, 2018, 06:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that was a good accidentally brilliant picture.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version