ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (1106/1232) > >>

IainB:
If a law of physics is broken, does it make a sound?
-Arizona Hot (April 21, 2018, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, but it travels at the speed of light, so your ears can't hear it...
-Shades (April 21, 2018, 12:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

There is no answer to that Q because it postulates the impossible - i.e., that a law of physics can be broken in the first place.

IainB:
Under the Windows OS, sometimes a process that has been killed/terminated in a non-graceful way (i.e., not a normal exit) will leave a residual component in the stack, that retains the original PID (Process ID) but has zero private bytes in RAM. If you try to kill/terminate such processes, the system responds with an error message. In the case of a killed Explorer.exe process which has entered this state, here is an example of such an error message:
Unable to terminate explorer.exe (PID 106484): An attempt was made to access an exiting process.

--- End quote ---

Below is an extract from a discussion thread from 2007 about this issue from someone wanting to know how to fully delete/clear such a residual process from the list of running processes:
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
I closed an application, but the process remained in the list. I try to stop in from the task manager, but nothing happens. No error messages, process just stays in the list. I try to debug it, but the debugger says:
Unable to attach to the crashing process. The requested operation is not supported.
This happens with VS2008 and some other programs, sometimes.
How to terminate it?
That's one of the reasons I switched to Linux. Though I experienced this problem under Win XP, it seems that it hasn't changet since then. – petersohn Apr 30 '10 at 7:07

--- End quote ---
According to samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/… there's exactly the same situation in Linux - processes waiting on the kernel are unkillable. This is one of the reasons I switched to Windows. – ta.speot.is Jun 12 '11 at 2:25

--- End quote ---
Copied from: windows 7 - How can I kill an unkillable process? - Super User - <https://superuser.com/questions/136272/how-can-i-kill-an-unkillable-process>

--- End quote ---

IainB:
Nice graphic, but...
(found at <https://blog.ashampoo.com/en/2018-04-17/four-superior-windows-explorer-replacements>)

barney:
There is no answer to that Q because it postulates the impossible - i.e., that a law of physics can be broken in the first place.
-IainB (April 21, 2018, 06:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
Well, yeah ... but it kinda loses impact to say, "If a law (as we know it) of physics (as we know it) ...", ya know?  :o ;D

Shades:
"If a law of physics is broken, does it make a sound?"

That question leads to much more important questions, such as: if you happen to break a law of physics, how much jail time do you face? What kind of jail you can expect to be put into? And is there in such a jail also an unwritten rule about dropping the soap?  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version