ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (1081/1232) > >>

Arizona Hot:
silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

12 Most Unfortunate Product Names

Which do you think is the worst product name?

IainB:
Signs of the times...

mouser:
Iain you are going into political commentary again not humor..

IainB:
Trigger Alert!
(Insert list here.)

@mouser:
Where you say:
Iain you are going into political commentary again not humor..
-mouser (October 09, 2017, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---
First off, humour is presumably (would seem to be) something that was in the perception of the beholder, and I was unaware that anyone was the ultimate arbiter of what was, or was not to be perceived as humour, nor that attempted humour in this thread had to amuse any particular person/persons before it could be deemed to be acceptable as de rigueur for entry to this thread. However, if it were specified that such was the rule now, or (say) that satire, irony or whatever, were now banned, then I feel sure that myself and other contributors would endeavour to follow said rule, and the posting of jokes could be properly self-censored and moderated to ensure obedience to the new rule, henceforth.

Secondly, I have to ask: What on earth do you mean by "again"?
I mean, as someone who is politically agnostic (e.g., we've just had the elections here in NZ, by the way, and I voted for a quite different two parties this time around, under our MMP system) I don't think I intend to make political comment in this or any other thread, except maybe to encourage a balance, or poke the borax and make fun of bias towards any political group and/or religio-political ideology in general - i.e., where "politics" per se bears the brunt of the joke; for example, in my sketch rant in the Basement re UK PM Margaret Thatcher's alleged custom of eating human foetuses for breakfast. (Yes, I know. Seems incredible, doesn't it!? The whole nation seemed to turn a blind eye to what I had always seen as an abhorrent cannibalistic practice, and many people apparently even started to follow suit with the PM and adopted it as a popular custom! It played havoc with the economy and the demographics (birth-rates), and caused a market bubble, with the price of human foetuses going through the roof, so that many poorer people couldn't afford their now customary breakfast any more.)

In any event the cartoon above was categorically not intended by me to be a political comment, but, I probably should make my apologies, anyway, as I would have put a trigger warning in front of the above cartoon if I had imagined for one moment that someone might misconstrue a simple satire on the latest, apparently American MSM-sponsored stage of the evolution of the age-old maxim of self-censorship (the 3 wise monkeys) to be "political comment", where the inherent irony was that the MSM would seem to have turned said maxim - quite literally - "on its head", in their latest silliness. I could have been wrong, of course, but I didn't think it favoured any particular political party; or at least, I didn't see that it did. Of course, you may know better than I, since I only have a UK/NZ perspective on what passes for "political comment".

I wouldn't be amused myself if I saw no humour in the new maxim, but the MSM are the one's creating the humourous condition in the first place, not me. I'm just that annoying bloke who says "Ha-ha! Look at that! The MSM would seem to have successfully made collective asses of themselves. In the UK/NZ, we would call it "shooting oneself in the foot". But, OK, if we're "not supposed to LOL" at such things, then I stand censored corrected.

To save reaching for the dictionary for a definition of some of those words, we have, from the Concise Oxford Dictionary (10th Ed.): (in alphabetic order and with my emphasis re "humour")

* irony1 /"VIr@ni/
· n. (pl. ironies) the expression of meaning through the use of language signifying the opposite, typically for humorous effect. Ø a state of affairs that appears perversely contrary to what one expects. Ø (also dramatic or tragic irony) a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the significance of a character’s words or actions are clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character.
– ORIGIN C16: via L. from Gk eirZneia ‘simulated ignorance’, from eirZn ‘dissembler’.

* maxim:
· n. a short, pithy statement expressing a general truth or rule of conduct.
– ORIGIN ME: from Fr. maxime, from med. L. (propositio) maxima ‘most important (proposition)’.

* satire /"satVI@/
· n.
1 the use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people’s stupidity or vices.
2 a play, novel, etc. using satire. Ø (in Latin literature) a literary miscellany, especially a poem ridiculing prevalent vices or follies.
– DERIVATIVES satirist n.
– ORIGIN C16: from Fr., or from L. satira, later form of satura ‘poetic medley’.

It's a bit like walking on eggshells if one cannot share an honest clean bit of satire about the perverted evolution of the censorship maxim, in the "Re: silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]" and without first having to self-censor oneself... Oh, but wait...

Quite coincidentally: I saw this highly relevant video whilst skimming my LiveLink feed in BazQux reader today:
Facebook Has Bad News For CNN & NBC: No More Fake News. (Majority of Americans believe main stream news is FAKE NEWS!)

I was delighted to see that some of the avowedly trustworthy and impartial and high-integrity, diverse, apolitical, non-gender preferential, LBGT-sensitive, etc., mainstream US IT leadership - in the shape of non other than Facebook -  are apparently finally intending to take up, for the greater good, the responsibility for ensuring truth and integrity in published news reporting by the MSM (MainStream Media) - though some people (not me, you understand) might say that this was rather akin to giving the bank-robbers the keys to the bank vaults, but I couldn't possibly comment.

Anyway, I must dash, as I am giving a talk to a class on marketing philosophy (yep, that's a real thing), on the subject of commercial propaganda (AKA "Marketing & Advertising") and those two exemplary marketers par extraordinaire and bastions of political freedom-of-speech (and thought) reputedly much-fancied by UOBerkely - Joseph Goebbels and Leni Riefenstahl - both of whom the modern politically-biased historians would seem to have (mistakenly, in my view) greatly under-appreciated and given a grossly-undeserved bad rep. I can understand how the OUB might have seen through all that nonsense though, and might hold them in high regard. I guess that's what you get from a high-quality educational institution, anyway.
PS (Post Script): Do bear in mind that a lot of the BS what I write is often tongue-in-cheek and intended to be humourous, challenging/stimulating where relevant, and that I delight in poking the borax (as above), and that this is a silly humour thread...    ;)

wraith808:
There is a thread for political humor in the basement.  Perhaps, to err on the side of caution, it should be placed there?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version