ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (1052/1232) > >>

tomos:
Re the offensive post in question:
I think @IainB thinks he has to test us on occasion -- not often, yet regularly. Who knows what might happen to us otherwise?
We may turn into naive innocents in our cocooned family-friendly donationcoder world, protected from religion and politics and related.

IainB:
Re the offensive post in question:
I think @IainB thinks he has to test us on occasion -- not often, yet regularly. Who knows what might happen to us otherwise?
We may turn into naive innocents in our cocooned family-friendly donationcoder world, protected from religion and politics and related.
-tomos (February 28, 2017, 05:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

@tomos: On your use of the word "offensive" - I'm not sure whether you meant to say it, but I don't see where the post I made was called or even shown to be "offensive" by @mouser. You might perhaps have been intending to call it "offending", but even that would be incorrect as all @mouser seems to think he did was suggest that "...the post ... was not appropriate for this section" - to which I rejoined that it was a true report (it was clipped verbatim out of the Daily Mailonline website) and that it was one of those "truth is stranger than fiction" things that I found LOL funny and very ironic - though I am unsure whether all the people reading it will necessarily be able to see the irony.

I say that about the irony because I showed the article to my 15 y/o daughter, who is studying comedic analysis of Shakespeare's plays, for Eng.Lit. at the moment, and she of course thought it was disgusting (what the guy had apparently documented as his intentions), but then saw the humour in someone actually being that dim-witted and having so little purpose in life as to have those objectives in the first place. However, I had to explain to her the inherent irony of it, and then the penny dropped and she thought it was quite a good joke out of real life.

/rant on...
Joking aside though - and it's easy to poke fun - on the other side of the coin I actually pity him, because he's most surely "not 100%" right in the head and would thus be just a gullible idiot recently converted to the Islamic religion and which he very likely can't properly comprehend, and he probably would have been too incompetent to stay alive for more than 10 hours after joining ISIS or somesuch anyway - assuming they would have wanted him in the first place (but probably only as a dopey suicide bomber).

What he was apparently being charged with seemed to be intention to commit a terrorist act, or something, though he hadn't actually committed any terrorist act, yet. Quite literally, the guy seems to be "a sad joke", yet he's likely to do time for it and will in any event have a record of this hanging over him for the rest of his life, regardless. His life will probably now become just another minor, but avoidable pathetic tragedy of human failure.

The police need to be focused on pursuing and ferreting out real terrorists, not imbeciles like him. He probably - almost certainly, I would suggest - needs welfare help, and especially protection from being "used" - wound up or further indoctrinated/radicalised by the "religious leaders" who probably took advantage of him and put these bonkers ideas into his apparently unimaginative and thick head in the first place. The guy may even be an innocent victim without a bad bone in his body, but much good it may do him, because it's likely he's about to be eviscerated and made an example of by the British legal system. I think it stinks. He's likely no more than a puppet who has been set up by others - the real criminals in this - and they may well escape scrutiny/punishment and cynically repeat it with countless other suckers before they are stopped.
This would be an elephant in the room.
There's nothing funny I can see about any of that.
/rant off

tomos:
@IainB
well, me, I found the post more sad than funny. Unfortunately there's a lot more intelligent pedophiles travelling successfully for the more or less the same reasons. But yeah, I get the irony of it too -- but that's all beside the point.

You didn't address the main point made:
the idea is dc be family-friendly, and free of religion and politics, directly or indirectly. Which doesn't seem very complicated to me, and you choose to ignore it in what seems like a pointed manner at times. Which brought me to the thesis in my previous post. Which you also chose to ignore.

IainB:
@IainB
well, me, I found the post more sad than funny. Unfortunately there's a lot more intelligent pedophiles travelling successfully for the more or less the same reasons. But yeah, I get the irony of it too -- but that's all beside the point.

the idea is dc be family-friendly, and free of religion and politics, directly or indirectly. Which doesn't seem very complicated to me, and you choose to ignore it in what seems like a pointed manner at times. Which brought me to the thesis in my previous post. Which you also chose to ignore.
-tomos (March 01, 2017, 08:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

@tomos: Oh, my apologies, there seems to be some misunderstanding here: I only addressed the use of the word "offensive", because apparently it was not "offensive" or even "offending", as far as @mouser had indicated (QED), and I presumed that that was what you were referring to. I did write: "I'm not sure whether you meant to say it, but...", because I wondered whether you had used the wrong word, by mistake.

And I didn't address "the main point made", as you put it, simply because:
(a) I didn't read it as your making a point (as in "stating an argument" or making a proposition) - let alone a main point - but perceived that you were merely expressing an opinion ("I Think..."):

--- End quote ---
Nor did I perceive that this was a "thesis" as you put it, nor did I see that you were asking for or expecting a reply. I just saw an amusing opinion.

- and,

(b) On the basis that people are entitled to whatever opinions they want to hold and I do not usually find any constructive purpose is met in debating or commenting on opinions (except for amusement/humour), I would generally avoid doing that and thus would not have responded. Nor would I normally debate or comment on a person's thesis unless I saw that I might be able to add something of value that might help or be useful in developing said thesis.

So, it was not the case that I simply ignored you on either or both counts. Quite the contrary.

And I of course perceived no implicit request for a response, in what you wrote, but if I had, or if you had gone so far as to ask explicitly "What do you think IainB?", or something, then I would have probably responded with something like, "Well, it's an interesting thought." and left it at that, because I won't allow myself to be forced into making a comment on an opinion which does not really require a comment from me. That would usually seem to me to be pointless, as I mentioned above.

And so I shall not pass comment on your opinion/thesis as described.    :)

wraith808:
the idea is dc be family-friendly, and free of religion and politics, directly or indirectly. Which doesn't seem very complicated to me, and you choose to ignore it in what seems like a pointed manner at times.
-tomos (March 01, 2017, 08:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version