ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (958/1232) > >>

barney:
But ... these are all campaign promises.  Methinks alovus know how valuable those might be.  C'mon, if yer gonna mount a campaign, do it, don't just tease (like unto the current US presidential contestants [?]). 

Renegade:
But ... these are all campaign promises.  Methinks alovus know how valuable those might be.  C'mon, if yer gonna mount a campaign, do it, don't just tease (like unto the current US presidential contestants [?]). 
-barney (October 10, 2015, 01:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Bah! Heretic! Blasphemer! Apostate! Me thinks Cthulhu will eat you first~! :P ;D

(I couldn't run as I just moved across continents and was pretty busy with things like getting a new home, etc. ;) )

Arizona Hot:
silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

Hell, Norway freezes over.

f0dder:
If you went step-by-step from L to R (which was what I did first, just to see) then 6-1*0+2/2= can give "1".
However, elementary maths and any calculator that is programmed to correctly obey the standard computational rules would give "7", so I reckoned that, from the context of IT, "7" would be the "correct" answer. Mind you, I didn't bother working it from R to L...   :huh:-IainB (October 08, 2015, 08:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
"Going left-to-right" makes no sense - and it's entirely unambiguous when it comes to operator precedence, so the answer is indeed 7.

42รท3(5+2), however... :)

mouser:
Have you ever wondered WHY we have adopted the order of operator precedence that dictates multiplication and division happen before addition and subtraction?
There is a nice discussion of it here:
http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/52582.html

Like many things that we accept as "settled" -- there is an entire fascinating history and culture of debate, discovery, and disagreement underlying all of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version