ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (627/1232) > >>

IainB:
Another clever T-Shirt parody.
From Philip Morris attacks Marlboro parody, runs into “Web bully’s worst enemy” | Ars Technica

TaoPhoenix:

Nice!

I've remarked a few times that if one of the anonymous billionaires really wants to do some good for charity etc, they can be the silent bankroll partner for a good lawyer like this one. So it's not clear if that's the setup here, aka who can take on companies like Philip Morris cold, but part of all our grumpy bickering is there are far too few teams of good-guy lawyers for hire for the little guys.

It's a bit funny - lawyers aren't "with a party" like politicians tend to be. So just suppose as a thought experiment, imagine a team of *one hundred lawyers* (aka scary capacity) powered by about five of those 79 year old billionaires who have nothing to lose - that could change the world because all the two bit sharks know they can't just send a nasty letter and watch their charge roll over.

IainB:
@TaoPhoenix: Well, the shirt is one thing - and it makes a pretty definite statement in its own right - but the "champion for the downtrodden" is a little different, because it is something that stems from the context of the American legal system and incentivisation to litigation, which itself is arguably a form of pestilence deliberately unleashed by the Americans.
Thus, to say "...that could change the world..." could arguably really be to say "that could rectify the gross injustices permitted and promulgated by the American legal-political system and inflicting Americans and often people from other nations alike."

TaoPhoenix:
@TaoPhoenix: Well, the shirt is one thing - and it makes a pretty definite statement in its own right - but the "champion for the downtrodden" is a little different, because it is something that stems from the context of the American legal system and incentivisation to litigation, which itself is arguably a form of pestilence deliberately unleashed by the Americans.
Thus, to say "...that could change the world..." could arguably really be to say "that could rectify the gross injustices permitted and promulgated by the American legal-political system and inflicting Americans and often people from other nations alike."
-IainB (June 18, 2014, 04:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm, okay, so maybe I slightly overstated the phrasing, but one cool new thing about the net is we're seeing stories about other countries' legal systems that would have been almost impossible to learn about before. I think I recall you're in New Zealand, right? Just maybe I might have known that a lot of movies are filmed there, but there's no way old time newspapers would have carried a story about anyone like Kim Dotcom and related ministerial problems over there. But with the "echo-ripple" effect of viral news, there's thirty or more big blogs, so once one finds a story, everyone else spins it and then it all builds up until any four of your favorites has the story.

Giampy:

Italians and Germans:

0:11 Music
0:25 On holiday
0:51 Appointment at 12:00
1:19 A girl
1:36 A new road
1:57 Mother and sons
2:17 Fashion
2:31 State institutions
2:51 Garbage
3:17 Modern art