ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (338/1232) > >>

IainB:
I don't know if this is true, or whether it has been posted before, but I found it rather funny/clever:

mouser:
was not the picture of Reagan in drag also insulting?
--- End quote ---

yes -- i just read that post as an attempt to "retaliate" on the other side in response to the uniform one.  one could also make a good case that the reagan photo was, while not flattering, not really a politically partisan pointed attack in the same way that the uniform one was.

our language here indicating two categories of gratuitous offence, and your use of the plural both seeming to imply that I have done this on two or more occasions.
--- End quote ---

i didn't mean to suggest that, i was just taking the opportunity to lump politics and religion into one.

The thing is that I was brought up in the UK, where politicians are fair game for poking fun at,
--- End quote ---

well you see, to be honest, *personally* i think the healthier approach to politics and religion is to not take them very seriously and make fun of them all equally.  i do not have much respect for politicians.

but the prohibition we have here against politics and religion is a practical one not an ideological one.  experience has shown us that people very quickly take sides when such jokes are posted, and feel the need to have the last word and one up each other in insulting the other side, and it inevitably just spirals out of control.

so while you were thinking that you were just posting a silly picture that happened to involve politicians, people familiar with american politics would fairly have interpreted it as a partisan political insult that they would feel the need to respond in kind to.

to underline the point i'm trying to make..  if we had a thread that was titled something like: "Politician Insult thread", where everyone posted all sorts of jokes and insults about various politicians (akin to Spitting Image, etc.), i don't think your image would be out of place or cross the line.  it would be just one insulting image among many, and every side would get their shots in, and no one would view the thread as anything but a wide variety of views.  and that would be fine and i would have no problem with it.

the problem only comes when such insults are "snuck" into threads that are about other matters.. because it's at that point that people feel compelled (often for good reason) to respond in kind and rebut the partisan political claim, and before you know it the thread is derailed and the original topic becomes lost.

regarding the "this guy is a genius": HA!

IainB:
was not the picture of Reagan in drag also insulting?
--- End quote ---

yes -- i just read that post as an attempt to "retaliate" on the other side in response to the uniform one.  one could also make a good case that the reagan photo was, while not flattering, not really a politically partisan pointed attack in the same way that the uniform one was.
-mouser (May 30, 2013, 11:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I get it (I think). Reagan is/was in another/opposing political party/side to whatever sides Clinton and Obama are on, right?  Sheesh.
Now I also understand this: (it made no sense at all to me when I read it)
^ Heh.  Good comeback.
-wraith808 (May 26, 2013, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

How many parties are there?
In NZ currently we apparently have "about 7", according to my daughter Lily (I just asked her). She's not sure of all their names - neither am I, having lost interest some years ago when MMP came in.
Lily says she is thinking of becoming involved in politics...(currently age 11). I nearly choked on the coffee I was drinking at the time when she told me that.

Thanks for clarifying where you wrote:
"i didn't mean to suggest that, i was just taking the opportunity to lump politics and religion into one"

--- End quote ---
I am mightily relieved at this. I had been preparing to have to apologise for umpteen other unwitting sins/crimes and don sackcloth and ashes and walk around flagellating myself as penance and in an attempt to avoid being put to the test per The Malleus Maleficarum. People tended not to come out of that alive/intact.

Edvard:
In the US, we functionally have two.  There are others, but they usually get slim-to-none in the polls and only serve (in many people's opinion) to steal votes away from a more dominant party with an almost-but-not-quite-entirely-unlike platform/agenda.  
Politics in America are a cut-throat business, and the farther away I am, the happier I am.  ;)

IainB:
^^ NZ used to be first-past-the post elections and functionally a two-party system as well, but fortunately for the voters, there was a proposal put forward by the Electoral Reform Commission for maintaining the status quo or moving to 1 of 2 alternative proportional representation systems. This was put to a referendum some years back, and the voters selected MMP. It was a victory for sanity and heralded the end of the Yo-Yo (extreme political swings).
We more recently held a referendum as to whether to change it again, and the voters said "No. Keep it the way it is at present".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version