ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (329/1232) > >>

tomos:
Hey, it's not just mid-20th:

Seattle Times article: Dinner gets very local for squirrel-eating Seattleite
Best quote?  "It did not taste like chicken."  ;D-Edvard (May 19, 2013, 12:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

best quote alright :D
but it got me wondering what it does taste like
-
Squirrel isn't as gamy as venison, she says, and tastes like rabbit. (Adhering to the journalistic creed of "trust but verify," we sampled the squirrel; it had a nutty flavor and tender, slightly greasy texture.)-
I've never cooked rabbit myself, but have eaten pretty good tasting rabbit in local restaurants in Spain.
For that matter I've eaten pigeon breast as starter in a fairly fancy restaurant once. That tasted *very* good - and there's lots of them everywhere :-)
It's an interesting topic all round, (but not one for this thread I guess).

Does remind me of a story involving a friend on mine though. He was living in the countryside on a small unworked farm (just a few fields really), and was vegan at the time. Spent a lot of his free time outside, was planting a lot of trees at the time as well. Anyways, there was a hare living on the land. It (she) had a couple of babies/leverets. Over time, my friend got to know them so well to see, that he'd named them all. 'Paris' - the mother, was first named - before he realised that she was a she. Anyways, one day after driving home from work, he discovered 'Paris' dead on the road.
He stopped and checked - she was dead all right, but still warm. So he took her into the yard, skinned her, and then on to the kitchen and cooked her slowly in a pot, adding lots of veg and a few spuds for a good stew. Apparently the verdict was pretty gamey and very tough.
But he sure suprised a lot of people :-)
I would have liked to have been there to see the scenario - in fairness, probably not that different from any traditional small farmer that kills an animal that's been almost like a part of the family for a year or two. Somehow seemed almost cannibalistic though, what with him being vegan and all.

(with apologies to Ian if I didnt do the story justice - I believe there was a mock-epic poem written shortly after by a creative friend of his - naturally involving France, and Troy, and probably Paris Texas the film.)

app103:
Somehow seemed almost cannibalistic though, what with him being vegan and all.
-tomos (May 19, 2013, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

I guess it would depend on why he was a vegan. Most vegans I know are against raising and slaughtering animals as food (meat), or keeping animals as slaves for the purpose of food production (eggs & dairy). When you consider the fact he didn't raise rabbits as food and he in no way was responsible for that animal's death, you can understand why he viewed it as guilt-free meat.

Tinman57:
but it got me wondering what it does taste like -tomos (May 19, 2013, 04:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

For the most part, here in East Texas at least, it has a "piney" taste to it because they live, and roam in pine trees, and eat a lot of pine seed.  Personally I never thought they tasted like rabbit, always thought they had their own taste.  But they are tough little bastards, hardly any fat on them, all muscle, very lean which makes them a healthy meal.  They have to be simmered for a long time to get the meat tender, to the point that the meat just falls off the bone.

But like anything else, you get burned out on them when you've eaten them as long as I have.  lol  Just like I got burned out on steak....

tomos:
^variety, the spice of life (luckily :D)

kyrathaba:
Did this really happen to you? Or are you just sharing something you got in your e-mail with us?
--- End quote ---

@Deo: My father emailed it to me  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version