ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (881/1232) > >>

wraith808:
Nope, didn't have to open my wallet for him. In fact, we got back more than twice as much as we did last year. :)
-app103 (April 16, 2015, 12:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's one thing that's always befuddled me... people are happy to get back a lot of money.  It's your own money that you gave the government interest free for a year.  My perfect world is when I'm at $0 owed or returned.

MilesAhead:
Nope, didn't have to open my wallet for him. In fact, we got back more than twice as much as we did last year. :)
-app103 (April 16, 2015, 12:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's one thing that's always befuddled me... people are happy to get back a lot of money.  It's your own money that you gave the government interest free for a year.  My perfect world is when I'm at $0 owed or returned.
-wraith808 (April 16, 2015, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you can believe it, back in the 70s and 80s if you didn't file a Tax Return and the govt. owed you money(like you left it there for a couple of years) when you did file, they paid it with 5% interest for the extra time they had it.  Of course back then I think savings accounts were paying over 4% interest.  I think some people got wise to it and were just not taking their deduction(claiming 0) and using it like a savings plan.  After a few years the guvmint quit paying the interest.  It's too bad.  In fact I think I still have tax deductions I never got back.  I asked my former employer for the info but I guess they are only required to keep it a certain number of years.  I bet if I owed them money they wouldn't throw away the records.  :)

Renegade:
That's one thing that's always befuddled me... people are happy to get back a lot of money.  It's your own money that you gave the government interest free for a year.  My perfect world is when I'm at $0 owed or returned.
--- End quote ---

^ Yep. That.

With one small caveat... You "owe" your extortionist? Oh gee... thanks for not breaking my legs. :P #WhoIsLarkenRose?

Renegade:
Facepalm blackeye warning! - If you like ridiculing the Tumblr crowd, you'll like this.

TaoPhoenix:
--- End quote ---

There's a couple of very "lateral thinking rational" reasons this could make someone happy.

Let's get the Elephant in the room away first:

Earned Income Credit.

It's the biggest chunk of found-cash anyone's ever gonna get. It's *supposed* to vanish into caring for the kid, but... well ...

But back to "regular savings" refunds. People can sometimes really have trouble making themselves save, and fairly well known cases are when the initial self-savings accounts began so strong for New Years resolutions and even into Easter ... begin to get chipped at for summer! But if it's stuck into withholdings, it's a lot harder for them to get at.

Then the final reason. ... if you have an abusive household situation, if your savings are jammed into withholdings, the abusive half of the family unit can't bully you as easily into giving them up!

:tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version