ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

silly humor - post 'em here! [warning some NSFW and adult content]

<< < (541/1232) > >>

IainB:
“This is a very rare event,” he says. It “may well be the only chance in my lifetime to observe an occultation of a first-magnitude star.”

--- End quote ---
I guess what Kanye West did to Taylor Swift doesn't count?  :P
-x16wda (March 17, 2014, 09:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Har-de-har-har. Very droll.

IainB:
(see attachment in previous post)
"License key - good girl, you found it!"
-crabby3 (March 17, 2014, 02:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Made me smile. Simple. Rather clever, poking fun, and heavily sarcastic too. I'm keeping a copy for future use...

crabby3:
Made me smile. Simple. Rather clever, poking fun, and a heavily sarcastic too. I'm keeping a copy for future use...
-IainB (March 17, 2014, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have seen more than one post about this issue.  Most are from DC's early days.
I view myself as one of the most basic, novice-computer-users there are but had no difficulty finding/using my License Key.
Mine was emailed w/ very easy to follow directions.  Maybe these steps weren't explained as well earlier?

p.s.  Wasn't meant to be sarcastic... just *silly humor*  ;D

IainB:
Trying to understand to what extent Americans might need someone like Bloomberg to instigate a revolution in their private lives regarding customary dietary habits/needs/wants (e.g., his "big soda" ban), I was doing a search for relevant material.
Quite by chance - I think the keywords were "revolution" and "private life" - I stumbled upon this entirely unexpected and unrelated and very clever piece of fair use commentary and parody from WW II. It's a video in the Archive.org collecton of "Universal Newsreels", of Nazi film footage that was doctored by British Intelligence, put to music, and broadcast in cinemas worldwide for public ridicule/amusement: (to view and for explanation as to how this made clever reference to the then current fashions in Germany, see the commentary at the link)
Lambeth Walk – Nazi Style (1942) | The Public Domain Review.

I didn't get the full joke until I read the commentary. One still sees that kind of clever and often ironic satire or "send-up" in British humour.

The Archive.org collecton of "Universal Newsreels" also has a video (partial newsreel footage) of Eleanor Roosevelt publicly telling a joke about her husband: 1943-09-30 Mrs FDR Tells One.

One still sees that kind of remarkably self-aware and somewhat self-effacing humour in America, which is why I have always rather liked American humour and satire.

IainB:
...I view myself as one of the most basic, novice-computer-users there are but had no difficulty finding/using my License Key.
Mine was emailed w/ very easy to follow directions.  Maybe these steps weren't explained as well earlier?
p.s.  Wasn't meant to be sarcastic... just *silly humor*  ;D
-crabby3 (March 17, 2014, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh! Did you create that image? If so, then the sarcasm was clearly unintentional, but I saw it as dripping with suppressed sarcasm - the unmissably huge size of the key being the main thing. I mean, how could one miss it? I am always puzzled by those angry comments that complain about it.
If you did create that image, then nicely done by the way.    :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version