ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What was it like to use Linux like back in 2000?

<< < (2/2)

Gothi[c]:
Unfortunately, that attitude must have had some traction, because the new BSD logo is so highly stylized, you'd be hard pressed to see Beastie in it unless you were familiar with the old logos.

--- End quote ---

Beastie is still the BSD logo. The stylized ball is the new FreeBSD logo.
It's kind of a recent change.

FreeBSD has the ball with horns, NetBSD has the flag, OpenBSD has the blowfish, and all of them have beastie.

Lashiec:
Hmh, ugliness >_<. In the looks department, Linux really came a long way. Except Knoppix, those ugly widgets are still everywhere.

I remember that back then, a friend of mine (older guy) was thrilled with Linux, and its level of customization. He always ranted about how cool was this one 'theme' (perhaps it was another thing) that made Linux looks like a space computer or something, very flashy (probably barely usable, anyway :P). He gave me a few tips on how to install SuSE on my back then brand-new computer (my first PC!), but never got to do it.

My older brother and his friends also loved Linux, and especially dabbling with KDE. It was a lot of work to make everything work, and they were learning every day for months (in their words), but it was worth it. Funny enough, now that Linux is much more usable and user-friendly, all of them are using Windows :D

40hz:
FreeBSD[/u] logo.
It's kind of a recent change.

FreeBSD has the ball with horns, NetBSD has the flag, OpenBSD has the blowfish, and all of them have beastie.
-Gothi[c] (February 09, 2009, 06:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're right. I'm confusing BSD's mascot with the version logos aren't I. :-[ Unforgivable!( Especially since I use BSD and should know better.)  :-[ :-[

Thanks for the clarification and correction. :Thmbsup:

zridling:
Funny enough, now that Linux is much more usable and user-friendly, all of them are using Windows :D-Lashiec (February 09, 2009, 06:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

What the hell damn guy! LMFAO  ;D  (as long as they're happy)

40hz:
My older brother and his friends also loved Linux, and especially dabbling with KDE. It was a lot of work to make everything work, and they were learning every day for months (in their words), but it was worth it. Funny enough, now that Linux is much more usable and user-friendly, all of them are using Windows :D
-Lashiec (February 09, 2009, 06:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's easily explained (see below) ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version