ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Great Firewall Hunt ... frustrating ...

<< < (5/10) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Note if anyone wants a copy of Sygate Personal Firewall (that was the free version) is is still available on TUCOWS at the moment, though I shouldn't imagine it will be there for much longer.

Try http://www.tucows.com/preview/213160

I'm not using it myself anymore but some people may be interested.

f0dder:
CoreForce, which somebody else posted a link to somewhere on donationcoder.com, seems pretty interesting & powerful, and is free... http://force.coresecurity.com/

Carol Haynes:
CoreForce, which somebody else posted a link to somewhere on donationcoder.com, seems pretty interesting & powerful, and is free... http://force.coresecurity.com/

-f0dder (December 12, 2005, 08:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Looks interesting, but does the Firewall protection have the depth of other products? Only asking 'cos I don't find the website terribly clear.

Also I can't find any reviews on the internet which suggests it is very much in the early stages. May well be worth watching though.

Not sure how their model works - how do they raise money if it is free to home and business users?

Mark0:
Well, if we are all going to talk about Linux-based and OpenBSD-based firewalls then I guess I'll mention m0n0wall. A lot of people swear by it though I have never used it.
-Innuendo (December 08, 2005, 10:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I setup a machine with m0n0wall just today at my office:

I have to say that it's really great. It's feature packed, the HTTP GUI is very practical to use, and is very fast to setup. Just get an old PC, two spare NIC, a floppy driver and it's up & running in minutes.

Link: m0n0wall

Feature list:

* web interface (supports SSL)
    * serial console interface for recovery
          o set LAN IP address
          o reset password
          o restore factory defaults
          o reboot system
    * wireless support (access point with PRISM-II/2.5/3 cards, BSS/IBSS with other cards including Cisco)
    * captive portal
    * 802.1Q VLAN support
    * stateful packet filtering
          o block/pass rules
          o logging
    * NAT/PAT (including 1:1)
    * DHCP client, PPPoE, PPTP and Telstra BigPond Cable support on the WAN interface
    * IPsec VPN tunnels (IKE; with support for hardware crypto cards, mobile clients and certificates)
    * PPTP VPN (with RADIUS server support)
    * static routes
    * DHCP server and relay
    * caching DNS forwarder
    * DynDNS client and RFC 2136 DNS updater
    * SNMP agent
    * traffic shaper
    * SVG-based traffic grapher
    * firmware upgrade through the web browser
    * Wake on LAN client
    * configuration backup/restore
    * host/network aliases