ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Great Firewall Hunt ... frustrating ...

<< < (10/10)

Fedorov:
I'm trying out Online Armor (free version) after a long spell with just windows firewall

Setting it up after install was a pain - it lists all your programmes and asks you to approve them individually
"individually" means you cant select more than one at a time - I tell a lie, you can use Ctrl+click to select more than one but it's still painfully slow (think I gotta uninstall lots from this pc :))

There's still lots of popups but they're reducing in quantity very quickly = I'm happy so far :)
-tomos (July 24, 2008, 03:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just to make things easier, they are only the programs that you find in your START menu so you can easily just click the very top level and then click allow.
Of course you should only do this if you know what everything in your start menu is - I do I installed it :)
Choosing allow for them at this stage is only telling OnlineArmor that they are allowed to RUN, not that they can have internet access.
The Program Guard monitors what is allowed to run
The Firewall helps you block anything from getting out.

Hope that helps if you didn't already know this.
Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

tomos:
Just to make things easier, they are only the programs that you find in your START menu so you can easily just click the very top level and then click allow.
-Fedorov (July 24, 2008, 07:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's what I was hoping for but didnt manage to figure out :tellme:
The logical route would be to be able to allow all & then select anything you want to block - true there shouldnt be anything there to block but gotta admit I didnt recognise one or two things there ..

After install, on the programs tab it showed programs -as you say- in the start menu, but it also often showed the parent folder (occasionally showing e.g. an uninstall.exe as well) i.e. a two level tree
When I "Allowed" the parent folder the contents of same were NOT automatically allowed

When I look at the tab now it only shows the software (links) no parent folders - probably cause most are already allowed?
Anyways, it's setup now :D

Armando:
I'm very satisfied with Online Armor. It's getting great reviews almost everywhere on security sites.
I've had only a few small and temporary freeze "problems", related to HIPS, during the initial firewall's learning process.

The free version is good, but the paid version is better even (e.g. : it allows you to save your configurations)

I don't mind the occasional pop ups. I believe this is absolutely normal for a security app. The pop ups appear only rarely anyways (now that it's been running for some months), and most of them when I install a new software.

I'm so satisfied that I bought a 2 year license.  :)

and to partly quote Carl  ;) :
Disclaimer - I am a registered user of
--- End quote ---
Online Armor and I am very satisfied with the program.  I have not been, and will not be, compensated in any way for positive comments made about the program or any sales generated by those comments.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version