ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How much trouble is a 64-bit OS right now?

<< < (8/11) > >>

f0dder:
urlworlf: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=15107.msg151354#msg151354 >_<

40hz:
urlwolf:  http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/16/2259257&from=rss

Draconian DRM Revealed In Windows 7
Posted by kdawson on Monday February 16, @09:18PM

from the just-who-did-you-think-owns-your-machine dept.

TechForensics writes "A few days' testing of Windows 7 has already disclosed some draconian DRM, some of it unrelated to media files.
--- End quote ---

OldElmerFudd:
We have a sysadmin at work and he's leaning towards Win 7.
He would have to deal with printer driver problems if there are any.
Other than that, I don't have high requirements for hardware.

I'm thinking win 7 could be the best solution here too.

-urlwolf (February 16, 2009, 03:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

urlwolf,

AFAICT, Win 7 is going to be an easier transition if (a) you're already running Vista, or (b) don't expect a lot of attention paid to fixing 64-bit issues. As I said before, my machines do quite well with XP Pro, but the OS is a little long in the tooth, as much as I prefer it. 
I do have concerns with Win 7's DRM policies; starting to hear some horror stories in forums. YMMV

Still, Win 7 will likely be my next major upgrade in OS, although I'll have at least one XP box around and dual boot XP and 7 at first. (That's assuming I can dual boot with 7: more horror stories, I'm afraid. Don't get get me wrong; this post isn't about FUD. I look forward to a new OS. I wait for the time when Redmond decides to build what Longhorn was supposed to be.

Just save us all from a repeat of Windows Me. Still recall when I eagerly bought the upgrade, installed it, went through it, uninstalled it, and took the upgrade disk into the back yard and chopped it to pieces with a hatchet, all in 3 hours! (shudder)

hth
2 penny Ron

f0dder:
I do have concerns with Win 7's DRM policies; starting to hear some horror stories in forums. YMMV
--- End quote ---
Yeah, those rumors are pretty discomforting.

(That's assuming I can dual boot with 7: more horror stories, I'm afraid. Don't get get me wrong; this post isn't about FUD. I look forward to a new OS. I wait for the time when Redmond decides to build what Longhorn was supposed to be.)
--- End quote ---
As far as I understand, the Win7 beta disables the other installed OSes in it's bootloader by default to minimize the risk (however small) of corruption other OS'es partitions... afaik it's fixable, and I highly doubt there will be problems with the final version.

I hope the DRM situation is either FUDdy rumors or something that's going to be rectified, since Win7 otherwise seems like a pretty nice OS, and I wouldn't mind upgrading from XP64 when it's released. But if the "all your files are belong to us" rumors are true, I really don't know.

OldElmerFudd:
--- End quote ---
Yeah, those rumors are pretty discomforting.

(That's assuming I can dual boot with 7: more horror stories, I'm afraid. Don't get get me wrong; this post isn't about FUD. I look forward to a new OS. I wait for the time when Redmond decides to build what Longhorn was supposed to be.)
--- End quote ---
As far as I understand, the Win7 beta disables the other installed OSes in it's bootloader by default to minimize the risk (however small) of corruption other OS'es partitions... afaik it's fixable, and I highly doubt there will be problems with the final version.

I hope the DRM situation is either FUDdy rumors or something that's going to be rectified, since Win7 otherwise seems like a pretty nice OS, and I wouldn't mind upgrading from XP64 when it's released. But if the "all your files are belong to us" rumors are true, I really don't know.
-f0dder (February 22, 2009, 07:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

What I've read indicates Win 7 takes the folder/drive where you install it and changes it to C:\ At that point, the original OS/drive (XP, for example) disappears, so you can't effectively return to it. I'm not sure if Win 7 has to be uninstalled to reverse those changes.

The DRM issues are still a little unclear, but, for instance, a user may no longer be able to record off the sound card unless Win 7 recognizes an identifiable tag of some sort. There may also be issues with granting big dollar software rights to phone home through your firewall, no matter how you set permissions. Just gonna wait and see what the final looks like (and maybe even wait for Win 7 Service Pack 1!).
Good old Redmond, they figured out long ago how to make us pay to be endless beta testers.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version